Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by trillion, Feb 8, 2005.

1. trillion

Feb 8, 2005
    I'm new to the site. Purchased an upright a few years ago for my 2nd son, (first son is at Hartt on a music scholarship)
    both, are bass players. The instrument in question is a laminated upright bass (beautiful tho) and has a label on the inside that says "Antonius" with a number underneath that reads: Model#VB-003-3/4 Bass. I can't seem to find out anything about this instrument. IT IS A STURDY bass, in a cherry finish. I'm ready to trade up, and just need to know what to do with this one.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Check with your local Bass/Violin shops. See what they offer as Basses and trade in value. Check back here B4 you make any deals. There are alot of knowledgable folks here as well as some very good dealers/TB members.

I often wondered why so many Chinese Basses use Italian Names.. I have the answer..

Back in the Days of Marco Polo, he travelled to China and brought back this 'Pasta' thing to Italy that we now know as 'Low Mein'...

The Italians perfected it and made an entire menu out of this stuff.. Now, the Chinese are trying to get even with the Violins they make..

You agree??
  3. That's a good one Ken, but then again you can't expect them to use Moo Goo Gai Bass ! ! !
  4. trillion

Feb 8, 2005
    I'm sitting here just cracking up! Thank you Ken! Are all bass players funny? I know you guys are.....uh....different, yeah, that's it....different.

Well, I don't play an instrument but am very instrument poor.
    Any help on this subject would just make my day. The bass society has to be the absolute best at supporting one another.

Thanks again Ken.
  5. Very good Ken.....but trillion, how can you say that we're different?
  6. trillion

Feb 8, 2005
    I'm just a mom. I have two bass-playing sons. What I have found is an unusual sense of humor in every other bass player I have met! I think it is just delightful! The bass world seems to be a fantastic place to be. And, my sons, 18 and 17, have been fortunate enough to play in Carnegie Hall, have been to Barry Green's bass camp, signed up for Wooten, met YoYo Ma thru the local city Youth Symphony Orchestras, they have made All-state High school orchestra's, met Edgar Meyer in Banff Canada (they audited), have seen Charles Mingus and the Big Band in Houston, are studying under Robert Black (fantastic Rabbath & Carr protoge'), etc....etc..
    brag brag brag (again, just a mom)
    I envy all of you. But you all are different. so there. I guess that makes me different too. cause I like it.

7. Wow!! Impressive sons and lucky to have a Mom like you!!
    Robert Black is one crazy, brilliant player!!! One of his mentors is a good friend and TBer, Bob Monroney. One of my personal luthiers here in Denver.
    You have to have a sense of humor to play this instrument.
  8. trillion

Feb 8, 2005
    Oh, yeah,

Ray Brown was to play at Yoshi's on Saturday, and son number one was there,

only Ray didn't make it.

That night, son number one fell asleep with on the floor, with his upright laying on his chest. I'll never forget that day.
  9. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Your profile says you are a Male.. And Mingus was dead b4 your sons were born.. Maybe they saw a different Bass player?
  10. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    I hope you didn't mean last Saturday, cause if you did, the reason Ray Brown didn't show up is because he's been dead for a little while........

11. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i imagine she means the mingus big band.....not mingus AND HIS big band.

on another note, my bass teacher mentioned that ALL bass player are "interesting guys".....i was just told the other day by my apt manager that she thinks i'm "quirky" i looked it up on and basically she said i was weird :meh: , i'll take that as a compliment.

i like this DEFN: quirky

adj : informal terms; strikingly unconventional [syn: far-out, kinky, offbeat, way-out]

i can dig it :D
  12. trillion

Feb 8, 2005
    Thank you, you are very correct. IT was Mingus Big Band.
    I had no idea my profile said I was a male, just signed up today! I'm new to all this. I only meant that the exposure that the boys have had has been pretty amazing so far.

I also thought everyone knew when Mr. Brown died, certainly did not mean LAST SATURDAY.

Thank you for your interest and positive feedback.
  13. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    They should be so lucky to have a mom that is so enthralled with their pursuit! I have been met with nothing but opposition from my parents for my bass obsession. My dad says bass players have some kind of disease and that we are all crazy. I think it's that "quirky" thing...;)