Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Antony and the Johnsons

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DaveBeny, May 6, 2005.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Has anyone else heard of this man (and his band)?

Antony is beginning to make ripples both the UK and the US. He is British but has been based in New York since the early nineties. He has one of the most striking voices I have heard in a long time - he can sound like Scott Walker, Nina Simone or Jimmy Scott.

His latest album has received excellent reviews and features appearances from Lou Reed, Rufus Wainwright, Boy George and others.

http://www.antonyandthejohnsons.com/

Some soundclips:
    http://www.brainwashed.com/antony/

Not the sort of music that gets discussed on Talkbass too often but it deserves a wider audience.

DB

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I read some raving about him in Mojo but when I checked out some online clips I wasn't quite prepared for what I heard. Sounded like Bryan Ferry after inhaling helium...striking might not be the word I would use :eek:

Very interesting songs though.

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  4. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Yeah, I think Anthony rocks!!! He's got an amazing voice. I own "I am A Bird Now" and I think it's great.

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    BUMP for the fact that Antony last night won the UK's "prestigous" Mercury music prize.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's the impression I got as well - the radio stations I've been listening to today, have been playing short clips which sound as horrible as you describe and have basically been laughing at them!! ;)

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Have to say, I don't get it.

Horrible as this sounds, it's the sort of singing I thought people only applauded through guilt/sympathy. You know, because he's so "brave"

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have heard his cd but I don't listen to him. It's the kind of music I don't turn off when I hear it on the radio, but I don't want to buy the cd.