1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anvil - The Story of Anvil - The movie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Just saw the trailers. Looks interesting. Going to have to check this one out. I can't really recall much about the band , though.

2. Mutato

Mutato

Oct 15, 2008
    I'm looking forward to this.

I got to see them in the 80's at a small place when a friend's band opened. Not many people in attendance but it was a great show.

3. Best song title ever- Metal on Metal. You can't get none more "metal" that. Under-rated band who seem poised to get their dues even if it is 30 years late.

4. Anvil's incredible, any fan of Metal NEEDS TO CHECK THEM OUT!

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I heard of them back in the day. I'm glad they're getting their due. The other day, Eddie Trunk said that these guys are about to be the biggest 30 year overnight success story. :D

6. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    I watched it last night. Pretty interesting. Then they performed on the season premier of "That Metal Show". I'm glad they are getting their due. This is stating the obvious, but it goes to show this is a tough profession to make a living at.

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Apparently this is a movie about a real band?

From the promos I saw I just dismissed it as a rip-off of "Spinal Tap"... although I'm sure there are probably some unintended resemblances.

8. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I saw Anvil open for AC/DC in Giants Stadium about a month ago. They were absolutely horrible. They were one of the worst bands I have ever seen and heard. I thought that they were a joke, and was shocked when somebody told me that this was real. Getting their due?? You have got to be kidding me.

9. Quadcam

Quadcam

May 8, 2009
    FL
    watched the movie on vh1 the other night, it was ok..musically the band was great and if they had a different vocals they probably would have done well. I grew up in and was a metalhead in the 80's and I couldnt even remember them when the movie was released

10. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I thought the drummer was OK, but otherwise...meh...

11. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yeah those vocals are kind of... well...

And they are some ugly mofos, too. It's definitely about the music with that band... not a lot of visual appeal.

12. Paniconthenet

Paniconthenet

Aug 26, 2009
    Albany, GA
    regardless of your thoughts on the music, it shows the struggles of a band trying to make it, be it teens playing in the basement, or fifty year olds who have been doing it the same since they were teens. It shows that picking up a guitar isn't all the stars and good times people seem to think. Though I was never in a band who really had any success, I have done shows that were suppose to be the BIG thing, and end up playing for 20 people, and sleeping in the car cause, they hotel we were to stay in was never booked, and the people who booked us was too drunk to even stay through the show. Hitched hiked from Jackson Hole, Wyoming to Fort Collins, CO because we didn't have gas to get back. Nice to see people still go out for gigs night after night. I can't do it anymore! Just my thoughts though.

13. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I watched this movie this week and must say there are so many parallels and similarities between Anvil and my band other than they play metal and we do cover tunes. Different audience; however, we all encounter the same trials and tribulations as bands no matter what or where we play. Getting cancelled on short notice, getting cheated out of money, playing for thousands of screaming fans one night and then playing to ten people the next night. Not only have I been there, I am still there 40 years into my music career.

14. They are ... ok.

Sorry but I am not impressed.

I believe that Tank for instance was a much much better metal band and they too failed to succeed.

15. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I just saw them perform on the Tonight Show. It was god awful. The drummer and guitarist couldn't even keep time together

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Are those the guys who make the cases?

17. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    +1:D