Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anxiety Attack

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NJL, Oct 24, 2005.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I think I just had an anxiety attack?!?

My inside felt like it wanted to escape my body.

I had shortness of breath and a tight chest.

I felt like I was dying.

I felt depressed.

I felt dizzy.

I had the shakes.

I felt like puking.

I felt like I was going to lose control or even go mad.

I told my wife I didn't feel good. She started getting concerned and asked if we should go take a short walk with Jaco.... so we took off.

Now I feel fine.

***?

:rolleyes:

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Sounds like the right diagnosis to me doc.

Mike

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Any other people around here get any attacks?

:(

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    It's a very common occurance, and usually nothing to worry about. If you start to see a pattern or some regularity, you may need some medication. Buspar is a good first choice and doesn't screw with your head.

Mike

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Thanks, Mike!

I was just IM'ing a fellow TB'er about this....I had mentioned how this happened about 13 years ago while out and about having lunch by myself....

I'm wondering if this happened due to my neighbor getting broken into today during lunchtime... :(

The thing is - we have a big Rottie securing our home when we are gone - what the hell am I worried about? :rolleyes:

6. My fiance gets these occassionally and those are basically the same symptoms. It can be triggered by pretty small stresses that seem to just set it off. Good choice in doing something active. I think that is a good way of dealing with it.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Thanks, Geoff! :)

8. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I used to get them quite frequently.

For me, it felt like a sumo wrestler was sitting on my chest. I would have to stick my head out of the nearest window or point a fan directly at my face just to breathe...

There's a relaxation breathing technique that I was taught, try it and see if it works for you:

1. Lie down on your back
    2. Breathe slowly
    3. Make sure to breathe with your belly, not your chest (very important)
    4. Try to relax your body

I would usually get mine when I was really tired, or in the middle of the night waking me from sleep.

Mostly it's your mind messing with you. If you can solve your stress, the attacks will go away.

9. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I don't know about it being your mind in ALL circumstances. I've had them a couple of times in my life, and for no reason at all--or so it would seem. I'm guessing being up for over 48 hours had caused it one time. Seeing my mom in a hospital bed did it another time. But for me, it was nothing that I was thinking consciously. I wasn't anxious or feeling stressed when either one occured, so I'm not sure how one can "solve" his/her stress. I'm a pretty low-stress individual. I got over one by just shaking my leg back and fourth as I was breathing heavily. You need some movement to keep part of your mind occupied, and for some odd reason, it makes you feel better during this false death.

10. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Same here, I find that when I have a bunch of stuff bothering me and I haven't been sleeping well, I might get an attack.
    Doing some kind of physical ability usually works well for me also. I think it mostly gets my mind of the attack itself, which for me is probably the main thing.
    Anxiety attacks suck.

11. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Again, same here.

12. A great drummer I used to play with actually died from an anxiety attack last January. He was very susceptible to stress and going through a nasty divorce. He basically died from too much carbon dioxide in his system from being unable to breathe. Crazy.

13. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

I think that's the silent killer! It's the fact that we don't know what triggers it, or we're not thinking of anything specific and it happens. It has to do with the subconscious as well... For me, it had to do with a bunch of things, relationships, my crappy job at the time, money issues... When I would have my attacks, I wasn't thinking, "Geez, my job sucks, and I don't get paid enough... <PANIC!>"... it was more like... I'm really tired now, I think I'll go to the kitchen and cook ...<PANIC!>" Or mostly waking up at night for no reason, feeling like I can't breathe. Definately when I was sleeping, it had to do with my subconscious messing with me.

If you can focus on yourself, and do things that will enhance your life, it will lessen the stress and the menial things that bog you down. For me, I had to feel better about my life, to compensate for my crappy job. I felt like I was going nowhere, and that my work was sucking the life out of me. So instead, I would focus on music, working out, having fun with friends, etc... I gave my life direction that didn't feel like I was wasting it. Also, I was pretty much a control freak. So when bad things happened that I couldn't control, I felt powerless which would add to the stress and anxiety. In this case, for me, it was all about letting this stuff go. Realizing that I couldn't change people, situations, etc, all the time, and not to feel responsible for it.

14. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Sounds like you're on the right track. What's been bugging you lately ?

15. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Ouch.

Help you feel better bro!

One of my coworkers suffers from that. His doctor
    put him on Paxil.

Personally, I think it was caused by all those internet
    sites he was visiting, but let's not go there.

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I think it might of been due to the regular old stress we all have in addition to my neighbor being broken into yesterday - in broad daylight. :(

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I hope your feeling better Carlos :) I had a similar expirence before i entered into a big mistake but thankfully it was a learning expirence.