1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anxiety

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bunk McNulty, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I've been slogging away for 25 years, bar bands, singer/songwriter projects, pickup gigs, the occasional recording session, and now I'm going to audition for a country singer who has a record contract and is putting a band together to tour to support his new album. I know there is nothing to do except go in there and be myself, but if anybody has any words of advice about how to conduct myself during the audition, I'm all ears.

2. Krystal Childs

Krystal Childs Banned

Feb 13, 2015
    I would be well rehearsed on the material. If given a choice be the last to audition so I could see what I am up against. Made sure I had everything I need. Bring your A game and smoke the competition. Be friendly and don't be nervous. Enjoy yourself. Good luck.

StyleOverShow likes this.
  3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Show up early, make sure your equipment is in perfect working order, know the material cold, avoid diva behavior, look clean and sharp, and present a positive attitude. Hiring entities notice this stuff and most of it is beyond most musicians.

4. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Ride in on a horse

5. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Be confident and don't talk to much. Just fricken nail it.

6. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Be accommodating to the people there -- be easy to work with. I've not hired people who were smokin' players because they gave me the impression they were going to be hard to work with or disagreeable.

blindrabbit likes this.
  7. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    And... wear the right hat and boots! :D

8. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Probably the "Bro-Country" genre, so it's an old ball cap, and a white t-shirt...

Know the material backwards and forwards, and play the 'style'. Don't go in to display your chops - those will come through in your time, feel and note choices.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    don't adult ADD slap the bass to show your chops:)

10. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Biggest gig I ever got, I walked in to the audition and told them if there was anything I was doing that they didn't like, just to tell me and I'd change the part however they wanted. I fit in with the band in terms of look and personality so that helped as well.

Most important, I knew the songs inside and out. Once I got hired they told me about guys who auditioned, some of them I actually knew from around the region and one guy walked in with sheet music and said he rewrote the bass parts. Yeah, don't be that guy.

Session1969 likes this.
  11. Make sure your stuff works
    Be on time
    Firm handshake ;)
    Set up quickly, don't fuss.
    Don't noodle
    Know your parts
    Shut up
    Listen
    Relax. Remember to breathe
    Smile
    Stay true to the song, don't overplay
    Take criticism

Remember to have fun!

You know what to do... You already said your all ears. You'll be awesome! Good luck. :thumbsup:

12. Bunk McNulty

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Thanks, all. This will sound odd, but "Remember to breathe" is the piece of advice I most need to remember. (In addition to everything else, I need a new yoga instructor.) And I do tend to start yakking when I'm nervous, so there's that, too. I know to have the material down, and I always have Michael Rhodes' advice in the back of my head, "If you want to play more, play less."

Session1969 likes this.
  13. Bunk McNulty

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Everybody thinks Country music is easy. It's not. It is exactly as you say: Time, feel, note choices. Every note has to mean something.

Jim Nazium and tfer like this.
  14. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Relax and do what you do. Don't try to impress by reciting your musical resume, the bands you opened for, the big names you've played for ... they only want to know if you have the chops, the look, and the attitude that fits. And if you have any tendency toward assholiness, stifle it ... ;)

Good luck! :thumbsup:

15. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. I can't top the good advice you got here so far. And I have not been a working musician for many years. But since your audition is not for an established band, but for a band assembled from scratch, here is this:

Once I did an audition. It was for a pop singer-songwriter who was completing a band for videos, touring and more recording. He had a major label album in the can under contract. I did as many of the things as I could that others here advised; I was early, had a good bass guitar, was personable and attentive. (Later on, they told me they wondered how they could get me dressing to look cool.)

When I arrived there was the singer plus three other musicians, already playing. I got to listen to them as I set up. I looked around the room and told myself "Make him sound good and you will get this gig", looking at the drummer. "None of the other players matter."

That's what I did and I got the gig. It turned out that the drummer was the singer's right hand man, and the other players were auditioning.

They made me bassist and MD, we filmed an MTV music video in the streets of Manhattan, and I drew a weekly paycheck from the label. Though I would live to regret taking that job, I did meet other good musicians through it.

Thereafter I used that technique in auditions, and when I was fit for the gig it worked: make the best player in the room sound good.

Good Luck!

16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    These two posts pretty much sum it up.

17. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Picture them in their BVD's.....but no laughing!

18. Bodhammer

Bodhammer

Feb 26, 2015
    Albuquerque
    Be nice to the person at the front desk...

19. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    be nice to Everyone ...

ask interesting but pointed sincere questions ...

don't be funnier than the Front Man ..!

20. Bone up on the songs, dress casual, walk in, plug your bass in, play your guts out, and walk back out. Business as usual.

Bunk McNulty and Snaxster like this.