Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any 24 fans here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Apr 29, 2004.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Anyone a fan of the FOX series 24?

I think its one of the best shows on primetime cable right now. Admist all the reality shows and unoriginal recycled series, this show really breaks a lot of barriers and is creative. The acting is excellent (if anyone caught Chappelle's death two weeks ago), and the story is very well written with twists and unexpected changes in plot.

Definitely an awesome show.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Awesome show! Wife and I watch it every week!

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I've been hooked since the very first episode. :D

4. When the shows on its the only time were all together and its also one of the only times a week I watch tv.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    barbara and i love 24, but we like to wait until they get video-released, so we can watch them all at once, which we usually do. :D

6. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    Year 1 - AWESOME!! My wife and I both enjoyed the show.

Last year - I liked it, but my wife thought it got too outrageous.

This year I started watching it and my wife made fun of me - I defended the show and then I saw the crucial scene that made me see her point of view. CTU just got the threat of a virus in LA (the body) - and in the middle of all the drama about thousands dead etc... Kim Bower thinks it's the best time to hold up her dad from saving the city so she can tell him she's been nailing his partner.

I stopped watching at that point - and my wife started watching again. She claims it's much better this year - and I've caught about 3 episodes since then and it does still keep you rivited.

It's a great show. I'll catch up when the DVD comes out.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm more a fan of '60'

8. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I watched the first two seasons religiously. I tried to watch the third season, but getting the shared TV in this dorm tends to be a pain. I'm gonna pick up the DVD when it comes out. The only show I can see every week is The Shield because there's consecutive showings. If I miss the 10 o'clock because a bunch of girls are watching MTV :rolleyes: I can catch the 11 o'clock showing.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I like the intensity and the premise, but the writing is becoming more and more fallible.

Take, for example:

- One of the chief officer's at a counter-intelligence agency gets his daughter employed as a tech officer. (Especially interesting considering that previous seasons painted a picture of the daughter as not particularly tech savvy.

- Said daughter is involved with another top agent.

- President succumbs to a terrorist's demand. (Recent episode when Chapelle is killed).

- President is left to make major political decisions with only help from his chief of staff. (Why is the president not meeting with pentagon officials or anyone else. Why is it just him and his brother making decisions?)

- Counter terrorist organization agent, Chase, is tortured in Mexico, two hours later is heading up a mission, and a couple hours after that he's chasing down terrorists in LA with little or no backup.

- Counter terrorist employees constantly question their orders from superiors, and then give even more attitude when not answered. ("Mary, I need you to run these numbers." "Why?" "Just do it." "Well, you could lose the attitude." -or- "Jane, can you get me the status of operation 1?" "When do you need it?" "Now." "Well, maybe you could ask me nicer next time.") Whatever.

Like I said, great premise, good direction, good acting, great pace; but, the writing becomes more and more implausible. If it's farce, the writing can be far fetched, but for drama, it should be fairly accurate.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I watched a Season 2 Marathon awhile back.
    Innocently started watching at NOON...stopped when the last episode went off-air after midnight. I was spent & realized later that I had only watched "12". Sheesh.

I started watching Season 3...I have missed quite a few of the recent episodes, though. Still, there is almost a 'soap opera' quality where you can dive right back in. Sorry. ;)

I do agree with Jazzbo. Obviously, things just don't happen this fast in Washington or with our Intelligence agencies.
    ;)

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    that show rocks...mr. bauer don't screw around, yo

12. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    This season is the first time I've watched the show. Yes, it's quite implausible, but entertaining nonetheless. I love how Chappelle's replacement gives Bauer crap for not wanting his daughter doing agent work, then he turns around and succumbs to the evil-doing bad-guy because he's got his babe. At least next week it'll be fun to watch the fit hit the shan! :D

13. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    really love the idea of this one

i never watched while on TV, i simply couldn't devote the time

but, thanks to dvd, i have the chance to watch on my terms

would anyone recommend watching the 1st season in real time?

meaning over the span of one (actual) day

14. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    I love it, i have to download the episodes because over here they are not shown on a regular basis.

15. i would have to agree, it is the best series i have seen.

16. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I'm a fan of Elisha Cuthbert :D

17. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Love that show.

18. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Only show I consistently watch and I've not missed a one since season one episode one. Yes the writing often requires one to suspend reality, however the sheer non-stop intensity makes it one of the most enjoyable shows ever made in my opinion. During the first season, my wife did not think it was a show she would like. About half way through one of the early episodes she came in to ask me about something unrelated. She ended up watching until the end of the show and has also now not missed one since. Totally fun and enjoyable, even if not always realistic.