any 2x15, or 2 1x15 users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jim primate, Apr 25, 2004.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

does anyone here use just a 2x15, or 2 1x15's? how does it sound? what amp are you using with it? what are the cabs? what bass do you play through it? any fx? do the cabs have horns? and any other info you think relevant to the topic.
  2. davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    I use a Mesa Road Ready 2x15, vintage SVT, '77 P bass, and a Fulltone Bassdrive pedal.

No horns. Just rock.

3. Well, how it sounds depends upon which particular speaker you are using, of course. For years, I used two JBL E140s, loaded into individual, ported cabinets (no tweeters). These particular speakers have sort of a "smiley face" curve. Lots of mid-bass (but they don't go particularly low), few mids, and lots of highs. In fact, the main reason that I never missed having tweeters is that the JBLs already have more highs than any other cabinet I have heard that does have them. Dual fifteens has been called a "vintage" sound, but I actually think it sounds much more "hi-fi" than the Aggie GS112 that I've also been using a lot. To me, the Aggie was the one that had the "old school tone." In fact, when I hooked them up together, on different sides of the power amp, I was surprised to find that the Aggie had WAY more bottom, while the JBL's had WAY more top. It would seem very weird, but if I were to use both cabinets together with a crossover, I'd want to use the Aggies for the lows and mids, and use the JBLs for the high frequencies.
  4. Oh, to answer the rest of your questions, I used a Crest power amp with this rig for larger gigs, and a Yamaha B100 head (with only one cab) for small clubs. Tried various preamps with the Crest for the "big rig," before I finally settled on one I liked (which was after I stopped playing out). I now have a SansAmp PSA-1 & a Boss GT-6B, which I use either individually or together, in front of the Crest.

When I was playing out all the time, I used my 1966 Fender Jazz (strung with rounds) almost exclusively, although I've always owned other basses.
  5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I use a Sunn 2x15 with Eminence speakers.

Pushed by a Sunn 300T (300 watt all-tube) and playing a Roscoe SKB 3006 through.

The closest thing to tonal nirvana I'll be able to afford for a long, long time. :)

EDIT: No horns, no effects, none o' that.
  6. YOU my friend, have very good taste :D

How would you classify the sound of your rig?
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Bag End S-15's here. One or more, up to eight, depending on the venue. And usually I add S-12's on top for better midrange.

I like them without tweeters. Recently I got an S-15X with the red dome and the high frequency driver, but I'm still not sure I like it, it's a little too much in the high end.

When I need super-mondo-low-end, I supplement the BagEnd's with a couple of EVX-180A subs. No problems getting the low frequencies "out there" with this setup!

Lately it's been a Roscoe LG-3005 through a Walter Woods Ultra, into the speaker bank. The subs get a separate amp, I run the line out from the WW into a Stewart 2.1, for 2100 watts of thump.
  8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: x 10000

Can we say "brown note?"
  9. i have a 2x15 i built myself wiht peavey scorpion or something speakers cause no one sells any 2x15s around here and it would cost alot to ship and i also have 2 yorkville 1x15's. i use an SWR SM-400 and an oscar schmidt p/j bass thats got seymour duncans in it and im gonna put a baddass2 on it. no horns or anything. both the 2 1x15s and the 2x15 sound really good with lotsa lows to spare.
  10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Thank ye :D

Believe it or not, I'd say its very versatile. The 15's can get a really great punch if EQ'd right, and there is obviously more than enough lows. It does take a little bit of tweaking to really get that "chest hit" like you get from 12s, but it's not impossible to do. I'm sure the 18V Bart pre in the Roscoe helps that a bit too, but even my Fender MIM Jazz 5 (passive) could get a nice thump.

The only thing this rig DOESN'T have (that I don't even NEED right now) is really crisp, clean, sparkling highs. I plan on adding a 2x10 to this setup sometime to REALLY bring out the "chest hit" and the highs a lot more. I don't *HAVE* to have it to get a really awesome sound, but I think it'd make the Roscoe come alive even more.
  11. This is a nice rig, I know because I have one. Unfortunately ,I must sell it. :bawl:
  12. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    WOw. I can't even afford ONE of those things!
  13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Such a shame man :bawl: I really hate to hear that.

If anybody wants an INCREDIBLE rig, get in touch with this fellow. You're missing out!!!!
  14. i'm currently considering buying a peavey 215 and wonder if it will give a decent slap/pop sound. i play in a rock band, with some funk periodically. currently i have a single 18 cabinet, which gives absolutely not definition. i plan to run the 215 with a peavey mark iv head that will put about 300 watts into it. i'm playing a ibanez srx400 that has an awesome slap tone to begin with, but yeah, just wondering what the 215 would likely sound like. thanks.
  15. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    I've got 2 Bag End S-15Ds. However, I usually use 2 2x10 cabinets when running both of these. Helps to have some extra punch and clarity.

Dude, what kind of band are you playing in? Don't you have PA support?! :eek: :confused:

16. It's not uncommon to not have PA support. I've NEVER had it and i've been in 4 different bands over the past couple of years. The one i'm in now is my 5th and yet again, no PA support. And we definately play places where i need it too. Hopefully my problems will be solved if AG can get me a good deal on a new rig :hyper: Or maybe you could lone me some stuff nonsqrt? :help: ;)
  17. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, yes and no. There's always a house board at shows, but that's where I need the most juice on stage too. When the drummer's up high, I usually put 4 stacks on each side of the riser (one stack being a 15 and a 12). That's enough so I can hear it anywhere I walk on stage, and that way the drummer can feel it, and the guitar and keys can hear it too. I don't often play 'em at full power, they actually sound nicer about halfway up. I get plenty of punch out of that setup, it's easy to get the fat sounds (like with most 15's), and the 12's deliver plenty of snap. It took me a long time to find a setup where I could move effortlessly between JPJ sounds and more modern sounds, and with this rig it's laughably easy. And, I get more or less the same sound no matter what venue we're playing, the BagEnd's are modular and you can use as many or as few as you need. The hardest thing about this setup was building a few special speaker cables so I can run the cabs in series when I need to. For a single stack it's easiest to run the 12 and the 15 in parallel, but with multiple stacks I go two and two in series to get 8 ohms per quad.
  18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I played a Yamaha 215 cab loaded with Peavey Black Widows for two years. It was powered by a Hartke HA3500. I played an Ibanez BTB405, and a Spector Q5 Pro with it. I wasn't much of an effects guy then, so I did not use them.

My rig sounded amazing. Always loud enough, enough bottom end to vibrate your skull, and could punch you in the chest. Of course, I was too smart for my own good and got rid of it.

19. bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    I use a Peavey-cab with two black widow 15'. Powered with a fender bassman head (100w, 1971). Gives a good vintage tone and gets a great overdriven tone when i crank it. When i'm standing close to it, i can feel the air moving :D

It's not very practical, and i'm looking for a single 15' that i can use when i'm playing at smaller venues.
  20. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    One of the bass rigs I use has two bag End 15 cabs. I used my Ampeg B4r bridged at 1000 watts, 500 into each cab. Matter of fact I just used that setup last saturday night and it sounded great as usual. Punchy with a lot of cutting mids. I was in a medium sized club with PA support. Can't Imaging what having 4 of those cabs would sound like let alone 8. I'll betcha it sounds ****ing Awsome!!! BTW I also played through one of those Sunn 215 cabs at a jam session once and it sounded great also.