Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any 35mm users floatin' around? (the TB photography thread...)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Selta, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey everbody!
    Up until about 2 years ago I was somewhat into photography, but then got out of it due to money, time etc. etc. but lately I've been bitten by the bug again, and am looking at a nice Minolta 35mm cam, yes, not digital. I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who was into amature or even professional photography that 1) can guide me through the beginnings of my journey (aka, answer my dumbass questions) 2) show some of your works with good ol 35mm film cams, and lastly just to do like we do with basses, chat about it. I really didn't bother to do a search, sooo if this thread exists somewhere else, well, my bad. This isnt limited to 35mm filmers either, pretty much anyone with an interest in photography can chime in!

Ray

2. I'm not a pro, but I do know a bit about film photography; 35mm and medium format.

Ask whatever you like; I and the other camera nuts will do our best to answer your questions.

The two areas I like best are portraiture and low light/night exposures.

I've never posted any of my work here because I am lame. :D

But, some of the guys that came to the NYC get-together in August saw some of my stuff. I have to get it put on a CD.

Mike ;)

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, I pretty much just need someone to explain to me what all the functions on 35mms are. I used to just do point-and-shoot, so I really don't know anything about SLR shooting. Annnnd you should post your work, just so I can look at it :p.

Ray

4. if you are getting a camera, try to get an SLR if you can...it is one of the best things you can do for your photography imo...that way you will see exactly what should show up (providing your film place won't screw it all up, which the one around here has been known to do...otherwise, what kind of pics are you planning to take? what kind of camera are you looking at?

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I'm looking at a Minolta XG-1, SLR With a Minolta 45mm 1:2 MD Rokkor-X lens, 135mm JCPenny multi-coated optics 1:2.8f=135mm lens, JCPenny Automatic Electornic strobe flash, wide panel W1 28mm auto electroflash 128/132x by Minolta, and Minolta auto 132X flash. Seemed like a good deal for $60, think it's a good idea? Also, I'm only looking at SLRs, point and shoot was fun, but I know I want to go with SLR for now. I'm really open to the pics I'll be taking; silhouttes (sp?), portraits, landscapes, just whatever looks nice (I used to carry my cam with me constantly and just shoot something if it caught my eye).

Ray

6. To start with, go to both these sites and see what you like. Check out the used departments; there ain't nothing wrong with a used camera or lens. I have a few of them. ;)

www.bhphotovideo.com

www.adorama.com

I'll write more tomorrow, but I think there'll be a lot of other posts here by then. :)

Mike

7. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I'm a keen amateur and have pretty much settled on the Nikon D70 as my first "real" camera.
    I think I'll get the kit 18-70mm lens that comes with it and try and pick up a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 when I get a chance.
    The two site Mr. Jewels suggested have heaps of good deals. Well worth checking out.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yeah, I was definitly going to go used, seeing as how I have like $75 to spend on it :p. Anyone else out there?

Ray

9. The last 'real' use my 35mm saw was a friend's wedding a couple years ago, I shot the wedding and reception for them as their gift. I'll never let my F5 with lens and flash unit collection go, though I am using a digital more these days (no film to buy or processing to do).

Find a good local photography shop, the people there can be very helpful and will probably have a book or two that will help, maybe even a class they run or can point you to. There isn't anything too complicated involved, but depending on how deep you want to go it may take a while to grasp it all and how everything relates. Like a good local music shop, the local photography shop can be a great asset.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I tried that route, but there's no real good photo shops around. And none with classes at all. I went to the local couple and they just got pissed when I asked questions...

Ray

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Kodak guide to 35mm photography

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Eh, I'd do that, but after buying the cam, I have to pay off a bass I bought, sooo that's not really a choice, unless someone has is online or to give me :p.

Ray

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Just scored This actually off the evilBay. Similar to the one my friend was going to sell me. Whadda ya'll think? Bad idea?

Ray

14. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I'll scan some of my older stuff and post it sometime this week.

Just a side note, if you plan to take any photography classes, take them NOW, because a lot of schools and universities are switching to mainly digital in 2005 or 6. Not that you won't learn anything, but you'll miss the film experience and developing and printing your own pics is awesome.

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hey thanks for the heads up Only! I think I'm going to take one summer '05 actually, when I get home. I was looking into how to develope my own film, but I don't think it's possible to do in a dorm room :p.

Ray

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hey, me again, I was just curious, when you get pics developed, they're usually like 3x5, right? Well, I always liked digital cos the pics can get friggin' HUGE (my 4MP cam ones don't fit on my screen, insane resolution...). Anyway! I was wondering if, besides paying to have them blown up to a larger size if there was anyway to keep their clarity and yet get a larger image? I'd rather not spend any moe money, but software suggestions are what I'm going for... I'm not much of an image manipulator, I just make them (and that's start off digital, so it's entirely different). Anyone?

Ray

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm going to school for it, but I suck.

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I see you're from PA Matt, how far are you from Johnstown, and which school you going to?

Ray

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Johnstown sounds familiar, but I couldn't tell ya. I go to edinboro school actually.

I'm on the Northwest side of PA.

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    If you're up near Erie I think you're about 2ish hours from J-town aka Flood City. Maybe I'll pay ya a visit when I'm home for the summer, we can talk bass AND cams! :p

Ray