Any 5 string players use two 410 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cgworkman, Apr 6, 2005.

1. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Any 5 string players use two 410 cabs? Well, I'm sure there are. How does it work. I was trying to get by with just a 410, but my 5 string was shredding it at times. It just couldn't handle the low B. Now, I know that not all cabs are created equal, so I'm just asking "in general terms."

The reason I'm asking is because I don't like the slower attack of a 15", but want the extra 'oomph'.

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Maybe look at some cabs that have at least one 12" in it?

If you don't like the way a 410 is handling low frequencies, I doubt if adding another is going to give you the response you'd like. There's an enormous thread right now about Schroeder cabs, most of which contain some combination of 10" and 12" speakers. I'd advise you to check them out, because people seem to think pretty highly of them, and they're not outlandishly expensive, either.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IME, tens handle low frequencies as well as twelves or fifteens... arrays of tens often have lower frequency response than boxes containing larger diameter speakers (I'm comparing full-range cabs here, not dedicated subwoofers). But as often said, tens and twelves and fifteens *generally* handle frequencies differently (punch vs oomph, etc). If you're happy with the tone of your 4x10 but need more volume, then adding another 4x10 should solve your problem nicely.
  4. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Well, I'm not thinking volume - per say. More 'bottom' would be what I'm looking for. At least when I get down and dirty on the B string. I'm using a 115 now, but like I said I don't like the slower attack of the 15 cab.
  5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Acme cabs only use 10" speakers that I am aware of and they supposedly (wish I could find someone I OKC with a B4) have hellacious low end response.
  6. I use a SWR Megoliath with is a stereo capable 810 cabinet, and it can pump out a low B at volumes that will cause knees to weaken. I think it just comes down to how efficient your cabs are. My 10's have a deeper tone and lower frequency response than any of the 15's I formerly used.
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I see by your profile that you have an Avatar 410. Assuming that this is what you use, there have been some comments in the past on this board regarding the lack of of low end that these cabs offer. I have an Avatar 410 myself, I play 5-stringers and I'v enever really had a problem with low end, but that may simply be due to my own personal tonal preferences. I've always leaned toward the higher ranges myself and have never much cared for the "boomy" sound (probably due to my early Chris Squire/Geddy Lee influences).

All of that said, you may want to check out another brand of 4x10. I'm getting a Genz Benz 410 tonight and I've read comments on this board by GBE owners who have stated that they like the low end the GBE 210 and 410 offer.

I also have a 1x15, but I don't care for them myself. I've played many and I even replaced the stock Carvin 15 with an Ashdown - 15s just aren't my thing, really.
  8. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I'm considering a 212 cab possibly. It's been suggested trying out a 212. Hopefully ;) it'll be a good mix between the low-end and decent punch.

9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Most important question is "which 410" ... many 410s can't handle a 5, but some can. An Eden XLT, Eden XST, Aguilar GS(or many others) can handle low B by themselves, no problem at all. Adding a second 410 that also can't handle the B, hoping the pair will do better, is probably not the best approach.

I used a 4 ohm GS410 on one side of a QSC PLX1602 with a stingray 5, and slapped the bridge from "funky monks" (as much of a B string acid test as I can imagine) and I was amazed at how well the cab handled itself.

Of course its all the better when I add an 18 on the other side of the amp :bassist:
  10. I completelly agree there, i find 4x10's to be bassier and have more punch, 15's have better mids, i know they apparently handle better lows, but not in my experiance
  11. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    My Ampeg PR-410 HLF handles the very bottom end of my Warwick Thumb BO 6 quite nicely. My only issue is its lack of sensitivity at 96dB/1W/1M according to Ampeg's specs. I am only using one of the cabinets and I'm generally quite happy with its abilities.

Perhaps you should try out a few higher-end 4x10 cabinets. Also, don't restrict yourself to those. Be open-minded and check out Schroeder cabinets, or other 12" driver equipped cabinets as well. You may like what you find.
  12. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I used two 410 cabinets for about 10 years. I sold both of them 2 yrs ago and bought one higher end 410 cab.

I play a 5-string. Never had any issues.

Here's my rig before I replaced the cabs. If I wasn't in my 50's I would have kept these cabinets.

And yes, I still own the head.

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    CG, What head or you running now? Is your present 410 an 8 ohm cab? A lot of times adding another 8 ohm cab to the rig will "Improve your low end" just by giving you more headroom. It might be your power amp thats breaking up, I'm running an Eden traveler into a 410T (Eden) and 210 neo (LDS) and I'm flapping pants legs at 3 on my power amp with a minimal amount of gain. Remember adding another 8 ohm Cab will give you probobly a 30% or more increase in wattage! Just a suggestion. But IMO the right combination of 10" speakers will give you more definable low then any 15 or 18 will! The 15 can give more warmth but thats because it has less defffinition.
  14. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    I just used my 2 SWR cabs together this weekend, Goli 4x10 & SOB 1x15, with GBE 600 amp. Usually just use the 4x10 cab alone, but an icehouse gig with huge open doors prompted me to use 2 cabs. Anyway, I use either my Sray 5 or 55-01 with this rig and the 4x10 alone handles the low B ok, though it did get kinda muddy at the previous gig, we were kinda loud that nite, but usually it does a good job alone. But I am still thinking I would like to try a 2x12 cab below the 4x10 and as a stand alone as well. For the sake of price I am leaning to the avatar 2x12 cab. Money not being a factor, I would prefer a single Aggie or similar 4x10/4x12. I even thought of the Peavey 4x12 but have not gone out to try any cabs, just not prepared to make a purchase and maybe have to sell one of my SWR cabs. Kinda that bird in hand thing, though if any, I beleive the avatar 2x12 could be doable soon. Just don't know what to expect sonically.
  15. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'll toast to that. My 115 moves a lot of fat air... but I notice that it has punch as well... its just a different kind of punch than my 410 has to offer. The 410, I noticed, was able to hold its own when I had a Stingray5, but it just didnt really have major low-end authority. However, the 115 just pushed it down to where it was a full and complete tone. I like having them on separate channels, so I can get the perfect balance over which cab is being fed. Usually the 115 is at about 9 o'clock and the 410 is at about 1 o'clock.

With that... it really does depend on what kind of cab your sporting. If your comparing a Schroeder 410 to a Behringer( :eek: ) 410... you're probably gonna notice a degree of difference in your low B. But... it CAN be done with a 410.
  16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I run a 5 string Stingray through two Aguilar GS410's at high wattage/high volume, even with an octaver at times.

I've said it here many times before, I used to use a 1x15 with one 410, but after A/B'ing them at a loud outdoor gig, the two 410's gave me much more lows, much more volume, much more presence and punch. I always thought 15's would cover the lows better, but not really.
  17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i think adding another 4x10 would do you well.

i also think you're problem is jsut volume. you're turning up your amp sooooo loud to hear yourself, that the lowest frequencies are killing your speakers.

thus, getting another 4x10 stacked atop another 4x10 will let you hear yourself better. :)

another 1x15 will give you lots of extra booty, but like the others, i dig the massive punch from an extra set of 10" speakers.
  18. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If you don't mind spending the $$ the Bag End Q10BX-D is a 4x10 that can really handle the deep stuff. It's flatter and way louder than the Edens and SWR cabs I've played. It sounds good without having that coloured "mid-shelf" that many 4x10's do. My Prima-5 tuned down a half step kicks out some beef, and with this cab I can blur vision and loosen bowels at will. I can't see needing two of these cabs for what I do, there fairly massive and heavy, but well worth the weight!!
  19. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004

That's just sick. :bassist:
  20. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I'm running a BBE BMax pre into a QSC 2450. Right now it's bridged into 4 ohms = 2400 watts. The issue here isn't volume, but tone. I simply don't care for the 15", but like the 'booty', as someone called it, that the 15" gives me. I want my cake and eat it too. I want the earth shattering low, but the attack of 10"s. Thus my question.