Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any 6 string slappers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, Jul 24, 2005.

1. I know it has come up before but are there any recomends on a 6 string with close to 4 string spacing.
    Tried a Yamaha 6 today and it had the spacing but not the slap tone.

Are there any good ones out there?

2. unrealrocks

unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    My Ibanez BTB556 sounds pretty good when you pop and slap it. Don't really see why you'd want to slap in that kind of range though.

3. To Unrealrocks: A lot of amazing gospel bassists do it.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Years ago, I owned a Yamaha TRB6 and later a Ken Smith 6. Both, especially the Ken Smith, sounded good slapped.

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    No problems slapping my broadneck warwick streamer lx6. Even when not slapping, I have gotten to the point where I just don't like any bass with string spacing smaller than 19mm or so. I started out on a closer (around 16mm) spacing, and used to be in the "once you get used to narrow spacing there is no difference" camp. Now that I have a wider spacing, I have pulled a 180. I won't even consider any bass with narrow spacings. YMMV

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Like he said, I've heard a lot of Ken Smith sixes sound fantastic, and they can have wide spacing.
    I just got an Elrick six with full 19mm spacing, and I love the slap sound.
    slap sample

7. Thanks for the info. Not that I need to slap a 6 but if the desire is there I would like to enjoy it.

You never know when you need to slap over a guitar players solo. :bassist:

8. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    I'm satisfied with the tone I get when I slap my Brice HXB-406. It actually sounds pretty good, and it's inexpensive enough to the point where it wouldn't hurt you financially if you just wanted to try one out.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I didn't think those had full 19mm spacing like he asked.....?

10. notrt

notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    Find yourself a used Yamaha TRB6-JP...killer slap sound; > 19mm string spacing at the bridge, nice wide nut, too. They're on ebay all the time. For a 34" scale bass, you'll definately be there.

later...

RC a/k/a "notrt"

11. I agree with notrt that the Yamaha TRBJP has a killer slap tone. The TRBJPs are huge basses, but you get a huge sound with all that wood. For the record, world class bassist and long time Yamaha endorser Nathan East can be heard on many Fourplay CDs using his Yamaha basses including his very custom white TRB6 and they are almost identical to the TRBJP in tone. Here is a link to a tune I just did with my TRBJP to demo it's slap tone.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=2681723&q=Hi

Cheers,
    Bassjones

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I own several sixes, all wide space, all excellent slappers.

MTD 635, F Bass BN6, Brubaker Xtreme 6, Fodera Anthony Jackson Contrabass and Bone Avatar. All excellent basses.

I had a Yamaha TRB6 II and while it slapped well, I didn't like the fact that I had to change the eq on my rig to keep it from sounding thin. All of the above basses are plug and play IME. Ken Smith also makes excellent sixes, with that Smith vibe.

13. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Am a fan of Ken Simth basses since i start playing bass,one of my favorite basses.

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ok, but what about slapping on a "standard" spaced 6 (17mm)?

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    What about it? :confused:

16. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Do many folks do it, is it prohibitively difficult without the wider 19mm spacing? Are there things that just can't be done on it? etc. etc.

17. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Woops.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    More sixers have the narrower spacing than wide 19mm so far as I've seen, and the only complaint I've read is that it's more difficult to slap if you're used to 19mm. I doubt there's anything that can't be done on them- I've god a vid with Bill Dickens playing a Cirrus 6 and he certainly doesn't seem hindered by the smaller spacing.

19. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    OK, you've now read another complaint. I dislike the narrower spacing for straight fingerstyle as well. I just did not realize that I disliked it till I got a wide spacing bass. There are plenty of people who seem to just fine on them though, they just seem to not play as easily to me.

20. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    +1 on the smith. One of the best slapped sounds on any bass...especially a 6 :bassist: