Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any 6 string with 6 in-a-line tuning peg?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr M, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Just curious about it? I know that it will need a big headstock thus making the bass neck-heavy, don't ask me neither what is the point of such construction but is there any out there? Pics and links are highly welcome....

2. I doubt it for a few reasons:

1. The high C string would need to be very long, possibly longer than standard strings are.

2. It wouldn't fit into a standard bass case such as an SKB.

3. It would probably look kinda silly........then again people love Fodera's and Surine's and they are about the sillyest lookin basses ever. :D

Just my $0.02

3. Or if the headstock is inverted for the sake of tension and a better B string tone, this time the B string could not be long enough but there are some extra long strings out there... Maybe there are some custom ones but I've never seen a mass produced one and looking for it...

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Ouch!

;)

5. My Warr Raptor has 6 bass strings all on one side of the headstock. The other side has guitar strings.

[​IMG]

- Dave

6. Tyler 6's have inline headstocks--here's a photo of a 36" scale 6 from the Tyler web site (www.tylerguitars.com). I'm sure there are others, but nothing else comes to mind off the top of my head.

Mike

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeouch! That 12 stringer headstock is insane!

Am I the only one who thinks that Tyler's have the worst headstock design ever, and that the name Tyler is on the bass waaayyy too many times?:eek:

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes...how useless is that? That get the big "Fugly!" from me...now if only I could get that "Fugly!" in a thubs down format....

9. is that warr guitar cool, i have king crimson with trey gunn and he uses them. I was interested for a little bit but i decided not too, what are they good for?, how much?, where could i try one out or see pictures? Thanks, Nate M

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Dave Grossman,

That bass sure looks like a penis, man. :D :D :D

11. I always thought that it looked more like Gumby. Particularly the headstock. :)

- Dave

12. Check out: http://www.warrguitars.com/ for more info. Playing them requires a lot of practice and discipline ( no pun intended ). I can't really play it very well but I can noodle a little.

Here is the ultimate penis extension:
    [​IMG]

14 strings!!!!

- Dave

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nothing a good table saw couldn't fix ;)

Twofers

14. Thank you all
    @Cole: unfortunately the link doesn't work
    @Dave Grossman: Is it guitar pegs used on it or special warrguitar pegs?
    @mikezimmerman: thank you, it's the first bass with 6 in-a-line peg I've ever seen (beside the Warr guitar that didn't come to my mind, as well as Stick but they are not pure basses)
    @embellisher: I completely agree with its ugliness

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mr M, copy the link and paste it into a new browser window. It won't work if you click it for some reason, but it will work loaded into the browser.

You gotta see it! It is sick!:eek:

16. I think that they are Spertzel ( sp? ) locking tuners and are probably mostly guitar tuners. 3 of the bass side tuners are a little larger so they may have been made for bass strings. They all have guitar-size knobs.

- Dave