Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any 6ers tuning high?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Aug 31, 2003.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    How many of you 6-string players tune high? Either E-A-D-G-C-F or E-A-D-G-B-E? What advantage do you find this to have over using the low B?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

msellers just got this one tuned E-A-D-G-C-F.

I played a 5 string for years tuned E-A-D-G-B because I wanted to fill out chord voicings and take over for the guitarist during solos in my many trios... it was also a help in my own soloing.

3. This isn't quite on topic, but a friend of mine who works at the local guitar center strung a MM stingray with the top four strings of a 7 string set. It was D-G-C-F, I believe, but I could be wrong. In any case, playing that thing was nuts! It was effortless to play, albeit a bit twangy sounding. Chording on it was especially interesting, considering that I could play chords using every string at once... it was fun as hell to play. :D

As far as high stringing goes, I give it two big thumbs up. :bassist:

Rock on

-Dante

4. I've tried it before and I liked the high F but missed the low B. I've also tried an even higher tuning (A D G C F Bb) and I liked that as well. I guess I need an 8 string. :D

5. brentdbass

brentdbass

Aug 18, 2003
    even after 15 years of a 6string i still use standard b to c i think you learn to play the instrument as it is or you might end up like the current trend of pop players that seem to tune to the song instead of using a7 or playing in all keys . i love the low b