1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any 7/8 stringers with 35"+ scale?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sandu, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Sandu

Sandu

Oct 23, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    I'm currently looking for some strings for my future 8 string, and I'm not sure about the scale length. I would like to go to 36" because I prefer tighter strings both sound and feel wise, and I'll probably need it anyway cause I'll be tuning to low F#, but my luthier said, and I know it to be true anyway, that I'll be having a hard time finding strings that fit a 36" with optional string-thru (should I decide to use it, 'cause this will be my first bridge with the option and I want to experiment and settle the string-thru myth on my part).

Is anyone here using high strings, like C or F, on longer scales? Also, can anyone comment on the feel of a F on a longer scale, since I only tried a C on a 35 so far, but unlike other people I found it quite nice, maybe even a bit soft.

As for the brand, I would also be thankful if someone who used Pyramid strings (they're german, I think) would share his thoughts, since so far their .020 is the only locally available F, while the low F# will probably be a warwick .175 dark lord.

Oh, forgot to mention, it's gonna be a fretless with the fingerboard extending to the neck pickup:D.

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Give me a month or so - I might be able to hook you up with a 36" scale F#.

3. Sandu

Sandu

Oct 23, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    You might wanna take a look at my location:D. Thanks anyway, but I think it isn't worth your trouble.

4. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I had an Aries 36" F# to C. It was nice, but the F# could have used a touch more length and the high C was a little too tight for my liking. Overall it was one of the best 7str basses I tried but I'm waiting for Sheldon Dingwall to come up with a 7str

5. Sandu

Sandu

Oct 23, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    I always have a cure for brightness, but not for floppiness. So I guess you had no string length issues?

6. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I had no issues with the length. I am used playing across the full length of the B string on my Dingwalls (37")

7. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    It might be simpler than you think - I have a friend that is in and out of Bucharest several times a year. Do you know the band Terminal White?