Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any a bass for 'round $300,any speicified for funk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lobster_boy, Aug 6, 2001.

1. hey bro's! i have jus stopped playin guitar for good and i'm movin on to the bass i got $300 bucks in my pocket and i want to buy a bass that would be suitable for PHUNK!(stanley clark...) what pick-up config.'s would be good,and/or fender,ibanez...

2. For that price, I'd say a MIM Fender Jazz bass would suit you well.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I agree with Bassman.

I'd also recommend checking out the lower priced Dean basses. I had one for a while and I was amazed at the versatility it had. It also had a great slapping sound if yer gonna get into that kind of stuff.

4. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    if you want to be like stanley clarke save up about 2000.00 more and get a alembic.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    absolutely fender jazz bass.

and the fun part about this bass is that it's easily upgradeable. for a llittle more money you could have a MIM j-bass with a gotoh or badass bridge, a cool pickguard, and a j-retro or other active preamp.

jason

6. I'm gonna have to disagree with all of you and lean more tword a Fender MIM P-Bass.... thats just my opinion.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Yea, MIM jazz all the way. You can also upgrade the pickups.