Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Acme cabs in KC?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by reachjkh, Dec 5, 2002.

1. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    I'd like to go hear somebody play through an Acme here in Kansas City.
    If you're in a band...what's your url so I can check out a show.

BTW. I'm really glad I found talkbass. Excellent site.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'm not from KC, but do own an Acme 2x10.

just wanted to say, "Welcome!" :D

3. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    thanks Joker,

Please tell me you love the cab, because I'm fairly well convinced that that's the one for me.

I couldn't wait to save the bucks so I bought an Avatar 2x10 for half the money. Since I play a Jazz 4 it's fine, but I'll have to get one when I pick up a 5 or 6 I assume. Does it really go low like I've heard?

4. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Jeff,
    I own both a Acme B2 and Avatar 2x10 and while the Avatar is ok I love my Acme cab. Great low end and just better full range sound. The Avatar just does not have the low end like the Acme. With the Acme everyone says you need at least 400 watts but I play in an acoustic band and I get by fine with lower wattage. I use the Avatar at pratice but I always use the Acme on gigs.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you do a search for Acme on the forum, my name pops up without fail constantly spewing how awesome i think the cabs are...

oh and check the sig. ;)

but see for yourself. Andy offers a 2 week trial to put one thru its paces. if you're not happy, you're only out $20 in shipping.

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    sorry, I don't have much to say about the cabs... just saw that you were from KC and I wanted to say hey!

P@

7. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Joker, that is a beautiful rig!

I currently play a Carvin R600 and will definitely be putting an an Acme under it asap. I gotta go lower!

(the Avatar is still an excellent cab - Dave @ Avatar is awesome)

8. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Hey PM, I remember noticing that you were from KC when reading a post last week. I should have said hi then.

If your in a band, send me some gig dates and I'll drop by and say hi sometime in person.

9. reachjkh
    If you are going to get a B2 and run it with an R600 be sure to get an 8 ohm.Carvins have trouble running Acmes bridged into 4 ohms but should be fine bridged into 8 ohms.The difference from 600 to 500 watts isn't that big and the B2 should have plenty of power.Someday I'll do the Acme thing too,I've always wanted to but it's never worked out yet.

10. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    If you are going to get a B2 and run it with an R600 be sure to get an 8 ohm.Carvins have trouble running Acmes bridged into 4 ohms...

can you tell me more about this or point me to a thread if this is old news?

I guess that's not to bad since I would like to have two B2s(dropping it to 4ohms) an Alembic preamp and a power amp eventually.

11. When I upgraded my rig, I went with a couple of 4 ohm B-2's pushed by an Eden Navigator/QSC 2402 combo, which I loved at the time. When I got my Bergantino HT112 I added some more articulation in the band mix. Right I running the Bergie on top of the B-2 and to my ears I get the perfect combination of sweetness and low end oomph.

My other B-2? It's doing service in my home theater system! The low frequency effect thru that thing is about 5 on the Richter... :D

12. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    I have also thought about just getting the Acme B2W (without mid and tweeter) since it's a bit cheaper than the B2 and running that with my Avatar 2x10 for the upper freq.

Cutting throught the mix does seem to be about the only real complaint I do hear about the Acmes.

makes me say "hmmm?" G.A.S.

13. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Reach, if you'll look at the www.carvin.com discussion board and search under "acme", you'll find a considerable amount of info regarding the Carvin amp/Acme cab question. Actually some of the threads got deleted after the debate heated up to the kindling point. But there's still plenty of conversation about it. Or you can save time and just get an 8 ohm Acme, and not have to worry. Actually, I've been bridging my Carvin DCM1000 into an 8ohm Acme B2 AND an 8ohm EA VL210, and I've yet to shut the Carvin down. These are TWO power-hungry cabs, but the DCM1000 is holding up fine, so go figure.

I have had my Low B2 for about a month. It's a very good full range cabinet, but unless your drummer uses brushes, it needs help. I bought one as a portable alternative for my Peavey TNT115, which weighs just under a ton, and because it matches my VL210 dimension-wise. Unfortunately the EA and Acme don't match sensitivity-wise, so I'm still experimenting. Bridging into both cabs, there's a significant volume discrepancy. I may have to get a larger amp (550 to 700W per channel @ 8ohms) so I can run stereo and have better control over each cab's volume. In short, if you pair the Acme with another brand i.e. Avatar, consider their sensitivities.

I also considered the B2W, but I'd recommend the full range version. You can always attenuate the mid and tweeter if you decide to biamp.

One last thing. I can't believe how good the Acme looks and sounds on top of that Peavey 115. :oops: