Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any advice for a drummer wanting to learn bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redsoxfan_1978, Aug 27, 2004.

1. redsoxfan_1978

redsoxfan_1978

Aug 26, 2004
    Well Im a drummer first and foremost. I listen to a lot of older stuff though mostly Motown. Those basslines get to me. So smooth, grooving but not overpowering etc. The compliment rather than take over. Its just good stuff :)
    Anyway here is my problem. I have been out of drumming for about a year. Right now I have no room for a kit. Practice even with one would be hard. The cops live right next door :D Beyond that my wife suffers from migraines. With a drumkit she might be bedridden LOL! I have only played bass a couple of times. My brother has Washburn 5 string. I couldnt get it to do anything, which didnt surprise me. He sent me to this forum.

Im think essex Pbass or Jbass and a decent amp. Get some lessons and go from there. I want a Fender PBass, but my brother says they are big money for an American one, and if I dont stick with it then Im out that money. I can always get my money for a Fender I would think. But anyway...

Out of curiousity, how hard are some of these Motown basslines. I notice a lot of their drum parts arent hard BUT they groove. A simple beat played very well is hard to imitate IMO. These guys played with feeling and groove and so some of these beats while not "hard" are near impossible to nail dead on.

Nice forums here and thank in advance for any help.

2. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well little background odds are those mo-town basslines were played by James Jamerson, he is the motown bassist. It varies in difficulty though. "My Girl" isn't so hard, but "What's Goin On" took me some time to get right.
    Also an American P-bass is about $850, that's a reasonable price for a bass, I think.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds like you're in a similar situation that I was in about 12 years ago or so. I started out on drums (and still enjoy playing from time to time), but wanted to learn how to play bass to make myself a better drummer. Then, when I went off to college, a drum set was no longer viable. I started playing a lot of guitar and bass, just out of necessity, and very quickly became a full-time bass player (and only part-time guitar player and drummer).

The best thing to do to get started is to get a bass, an amp, and start playing. Taking lessons will help you progress at a faster rate and will get you started on the right foot. Once you learn the basics and are familiar with the instrument, start playing along with the radio and/or CDs. This will help to keep things fun, will provide you with challenges outside of your "formal" lessons, and will help to diversity your playing. Then, once you're comfortable, start playing/jamming with friends. Playing with other people will really help you learn. The fact that you're already a drummer should mean that you already have a good sense of rhythm, groove, etc., so the transition should be fairly easy. Stick with it, have fun, and welcome to TB!!! :D :bassist:

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    My advice for a drummer wanting to learn bass:

1. Be on time for rehearsals.
    2. Be early for gigs.
    3. Have your share of the rehearsal money.
    4. Be rational at all times.
    5. Don't get drunk.
    6. Don't mess with the other guys in the bands girls.
    7. Don't quit right before something good is going to happen.
    8. Don't try to emulate Neil... I mean Geddy Lee on every song.
    9. Don't get into fights with anybody.
    10. Be reasonable.

:)

5. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    What Joe said....

Remember, you are considering joining moving up a notch to a more responsible level of the musical food chain!! :D

I'd like to add that I started on drums and moved to bass as well - for a lot of the same reasons mentioned. You will find that you have a rare combination of experiences that will both help you and frustrate you. I'm sometimes tempted to elbow the drummer out of the way and show him how to play something MY way! :rolleyes:

Seriously, it's a great combination - just remember to always preach to gospel of groove. I can't tell you how few musicians I've been able to play with truly get it. Pros get it for sure, but I'm no pro.

You might consider looking into the Fender Mexican Jazz basses. Personally, I prefer Jazz over P bass and I think it's safe to say that, in general, there is a slight bias in favor of Jazz over P. The Jazz has a bit more versatility and slightly more aggressive tone.

Anyway good luck and let us know how it works for you.

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Consider this as an advice and a petition dont become into another fieldy plz :D

7. redsoxfan_1978

redsoxfan_1978

Aug 26, 2004
    Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Joshua I was born in 1978 so I dont recall how that season went. :D I sure dont want to talk about last year. :mad:

Im going to look at some basses tonight. WOOHOO!!

8. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Well a guy named Dent sort of did what Boone did last year, only it was a 3-run shot over the monster to take the lead and it wasn't in extras... on a side note Oritz for MVP!!!!