any advice for my all day intense practice session?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Jan 6, 2006.

1. well, it's been a while since I've gone woodshedding, but it's long overdue.

I now have a six string so I need to work on my fingerstyle chops so I can play along with Dream Theater and so I can play YYZ. I know it'll involve tedious work with a metronome, and I need to work on my 3 finger I'll be in a room with my bass, an amp, a CD player, and some tabs (I normally do stuff by ear but Dream Theater's a little too difficult for that...I can't hear it if I'm not able to play it fully yet.)

any tips?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Stay focused. When you start to wander or lose concentration, take a break. Maybe make a plan to follow as to what exercises/tunes you'll do in what order. I find that, after an intense hour or so of practice, a 15-minute break clears my head, and the parts that I've been practicing sound better after the break.
  3. Ok thanks. Focused. THat's not too much of a problem, but I will take short breaks and drink some water. The TV or the Computer is NOT coming on tommorow. hah.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Take lots of breaks. Even if you feel like you are being productive in a concentrated block of multiple hours. If you don't take ample time to sit and think about what you just accomplished, you won't likely retain it as well. Don't over-work yourself, and most of all, don't get frustrated if something isn't coming together.
  5. Well it's bed time...tommorow is going to be an interesting day, to say the least.
  6. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    what made you decide to practice for a full day?
  7. (Taking a breather)

I decided to (try) and practice a full day because I have a six string and I need to adapt better. I mean, I'm getting there, but this is helping..

I got sidtracked for 3 hours 'cause the rents took me to King Kong...but still a full day ahead of me.

I need to get back to practice.
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

A full day of intense practice could potentailly turn out to be counterproductive because you might end up with some pretty deep blisters, sore finger joints, even elbow and back pain. I know because I have done it and I understand why you want to do it.

I actually believe two half days of intense practice might be more fruitful than one full day of such concentrated practice. I believe regular shorter focused practice is better than sporadic bouts of hardcore woodshedding.

But if you fully intend to do the one day torture session, please take frequent breaks. Stretch. Drink water. Walk around. Get fresh air. Think about something else. Massage your hands. Even take a nap at some point. Research has shown that material learned before sleeping has a higher retention rate.

Watch for the law of diminishing returns. As the day wears on you may discover that it is taking you longer to achieve a particular goal than it did earlier in the day. If you begin to feel tired or sore, quit for the day. So what? You have the rest of your life to master the six string.
  9. Yeah today I was sidetracked but I got a fair amount of productive practice in. I can almost play 6:00 by Dream Theater using 3 finger's rough and I need to learn one section, but that's much more then I could do before.

Yeah I know now to completely overwork myself.
  10. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    When i got my 6 string, the hardest thing for me too accomplish at first was muting the B, as well as reaching over the C.. My best advice would be to take your time and listen for unwanted sounds and overtones, and figure out YOUR way of keeping them quiet. The other's have given excellent advice. Just take your time and don't burn yourself out. I remember that i actually pulled my fingernails back away from the cuticles on my right hand the second day i had the bass. Beleive me you don't want that, it hurt's like a *%@#$!
    Good luck & happy shedding ! :cool: