Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any advice for sweep arpeggios on bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SADUS, Sep 23, 2003.

1. SADUS

SADUS

Jun 18, 2003
    i wanna know more about the sweep arpeggios technique for bass. some advice or some sites dedicate to this topic . i want to know if is possible to make (the sweep pickin arpeggioslike yngwie} with the fingers on bass?

2. http://www.bassically.net

Check out the lesson (Scott Hubbel?) on sweep picking on this site. Very similar to Adam Nitti's technique as well - be sure to check him out as he's a monster :)

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I do this from time to time - I use either one finger per string or "raking" with index finger and thumb.

It does take a fair amount of practice to get your hands perfectly in synch... but worth it! :)

4. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I use the thumb for going up the arpeggio and index finger for going down. Start out just sweeping up and down a triad. Practice major, minor, diminished, & augmented. When you have those smooth you can start focusing on playing more than one note per string. You can start by sweeping Root - Third - Fifth and slurring a m7 maj7 or octave (if you can reach it) along with the Fifth.

5. Same here, that's the best way for me to keep it sounding clean.

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    So, I presume a sweep arpeggio is basiclaly playint through in one motion - hece all the comments about rakingup with thumb, down with index?

I do this occaisionally too, using above technique - i also use it in slap (usualt root,5th,octave) with the thumb in slap position.

thasss all :)

7. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Yep. Lots of flamenco players do it but people like Yngwie Malmsteen, Shaun Lane, & Micheal Romeo applied it in rock music. Doing it in slap position like you mentioned works real well with muted notes too. I use it to put muted pickup notes just before a pluck.

8. just a small thing to add (thought itll be covered in the online lessons). It helps to add tap or two with the right hand on the top end. This'll give you an arpeggio over a really big range. On my six you can go through two whole octaves like this (or more).

also remember that you dont just have to do 3 up and 3 down, you can go for example 3 up tap 2 down 1up 3 down. Sorry if thats confusing?

also try doing different chords on the way down as the way up. You can even move position on the neck for this.

try it with different rythms as well, it doesnt just have to be yngwie style ultra fast 1/16ths.

One thing i find it is especially important to consider also is making sure that you keep the sound clean. This is always true when playing, but i find it tougher with this technique (especially on the sixer) as often the strings will vibrate when you dont want from your hand moving, giving an annoying background hum.

when practicing i find it helpful to go through chromatically different shapes, not just chord shapes that are familiar. This way your fingers are stretched as much as possible.

You may find that sometimes you have to play two notes on consecutive strings at the same fret, in which case you might have to roll your fingers. This can be tough to make sure you dont pull off to sound open notes or dont pull off enough.

your thumb will get sore real quick if you're not used to it, so keep an eye on it unless you want to be out of sweeping for a few days. ;)

sorry if some if this seems obvious, but these are just observations i have come accross when practicing sweeps, hope it helps a bit!

edit: that was gonna be a small thing but ah well!:cool:

9. i use the thumb and index technique but ive seen players play the arpeggio in normal fingerstyle. must take a lot of practice to get to that speed

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

the scott hubbel lesson bassically.net covers placing a tapped note on the top of the arpeggio and when you do the pull off, it sets you up for coming back down to the root note. cool lesson...you get video with it, too...