Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any advice gratefully received

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by MarkH, May 5, 2003.

1. MarkH

MarkH

Apr 12, 2003
    London, U.K.
    Hi there,

I've been watching from afar for a couple of weeks now and really like the forum.

I'm looking for a little assistance with an amp/pickup dilemma I'm having.

For years I’ve used a realistic pickup (+mic, but that's another story!!) on both my travel and studio basses and have found it a reasonably good solution to what is always a difficult problem.

Anyway, since the New Year I've started using and endorsing Velvet strings. I use the 360s on my Travel bass which work out fine with the Realistic, but the problem has really arisen with my dark old German flatback.I fitted it with Velvet Garbos and acoustically it sounds great but when amped up it can sound really thuddy.
    For club gigs around Europe I simply put the realistic into and G.K combo (...you know, the ones that are easy to carry around) and send a mic and occasionally a pickup signal to the house.
    I basically use the amp as an on stage monitor and hope that the soundman gets the 'real' sound out front.
    I'm starting to feel like the realistic and the GK are going to have to go.

So I've been thinking about a few options.... any ideas?
    The Schertler DYN-B pickup with their preamp
    into either and acoustic image combo of some kind or the Schertler speaker system, or even an Eden Traveller+some kind of small speaker
    Perhaps, though, there's a better pickup for more 'gut' style strings?
    There is a shortage of good retailers in the UK and Europe so I've never heard of many of the bits of gear you often talk about.

I'm on a west coast tour with Bill Bruford in May so I'm hoping to try out some of the more 'exotic' stuff you don't find in Europe.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers,
    Mark

2. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Mark,

Very impressive profile. You must be an excellent player.

Obviously there are so many options for equipment today that it is difficult to recommend. I see that your good bass is at home and you travel with the Kay.
    For me the realist just does not make it on this type of instrument.

The only thing I can recommend that perhaps you have not already heard of or tried is the Bergantino speaker cabs. There are a few different small ones specifically designed for acoustic bass. I was fortunate enough to have had some input into the design of the small cabs. Jim Bergantino's stuff is first rate.

Here is the web address.
    http://www.bergantino.com/product.htm

If you make it to the Boston area give me a jingle and I would love to hear you play and buy you a drink.

3. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    It has been years since I have seen Bill Bruford. What kind of material are you playing?

No suggestions, just some comments on what works for me (your mileage may vary!)

I am very happy using a Fishman/Crown mic in conjunction with a K&K BassMax pickup. I use a Rane AP-13 two-channel preamp. If I need monitoring (or if I am not touring with a monitor engineer) I will use a QSC RMX-850 power amp and an Acme B2 (2X10") cabinet.

The Rane has a graphic EQ and a low-cut for each channel. It also has a phase reversal switch which I have found incredibly useful. Depending on how the pickup and the mic are positioned, inverting the phase between the two can make a dramatic improvement in the tone. It is really surprising the difference it can make.

The tone on the Rane seems very transparent which seems like what we are all looking for. I have experimented with putting a SansAmp ADI in the effects loop for fun (adds a bit of tube sound and some mild compression)

I also like the Rane because it has plenty of outputs (1/4" line and XLRs), tuner output, separate piezo output, two stereo effects loops as well as channel inserts. You can mix the mic and pickup as well as pan them (if you want a stereo send). I also like the "mute" feature for silent tuning on stage.

Now the little Crown mic isn't likely to be confused with an AKG or a Neumann mic, but it does the job for me and it is unobtrusive. I roll-off a bit of the high end slider. I find I mostly send the mic (with a bit of the piezo) to the FOH and send just the piezo signal into either my box or the stage monitors.

Have Fun!

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    A comment on the Eden. I have an Eden WT-500 amp that I use with my upright but there are two reasons, I think, that makes it work. The first is that I now use a Euphonic Audio cabinet with it. The second is that I bypass the Eden pre-amp and go directly to the power amp section via a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ. The Eden pre-amp is where most of the coloration resides. If I had to run through the Eden pre-amp section I would have already bought another amp. Having said that I'll probably buy a Euphonic Audio amp anyway.