1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Advice in Killing Mold in a Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OldFenderPlayer, May 20, 2011.


  1. While loading my SWR Goliath Sr. (6x10) cabinet last night for a gig, I noticed mold growing in its bottom slot port. This was caused by standing water on the garage floor from a small leak in a nearby HVAC unit (yes, the leak has been fixed!).

    Can anyone offer advice on killing the mold that is growing on the carpet?

    Since the enclosure sits directly on the floor, its now sitting on wood slats to keep it away from any future leaks.
     
  2. bolophonic

    bolophonic

    Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I had possession of a Hartke cab that had absorbed water in a basement flood and it wound up in the trash. Everything about it was moldy and the structural integrity of the enclosure was destroyed. Hopefully yours can be salvaged. Are the speakers rusty?
     
  3. The speakers don't appear to be rusty, but the leak wasn't a big one ... it just dampened the floor and caused enough moisture to bring on the mold. I am worried about the mold spreading into the cabinet. it looks like I'll be taking out a few speakers once I develop a plan of action.
     
  4. Remove the speakers and spary the inside with a solution of bleach and water. Tilex bathroom cleaner will do. Use a scotch brite or similar type of sponge to remove all of the mold.
     
  5. Floyd Eye

    Floyd Eye Banned

    Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Bleach or TSP. Let it dry thoroughly before restoring or replacing the speakers.
     
  6. Jim C

    Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

    Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    EPA recommends and our company also use the chlorine bleach diluted with water method; think my guys ar at 5:1; fumes can get nasty inside; since it's carpet I would keep the entire project outside until dry and aired out

    BTW, a lot of times this will not remove the stains from the wood but it does kill the mold spores
     
  7. baileyboy

    baileyboy

    Aug 12, 2010
    I have read that bleach only bleaches the mold, doesn't kill it. Plus, it may bleach your equipment. I've had great success with vinegar. Good luck with saving your equipment.
     
  8. Zooberwerx

    Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

    Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    This may sound strange but consider the source...me. The HVAC guys install UV lights in air handlers to kill mold.

    Riis
     
  9. staindbass

    staindbass

    Jun 9, 2008
    mold cant grow without moisture. dry it out for a few days with the speaker removed. if it was there that long, the moisture is all the way through the wood. maybe give it 5 days of drying. bleach kills almost everything. once its dry, the bleach smell will be gone too. 5 parts water to 1 part bleach like the other guy said, in a spray bottle. johnny a.
     
  10. fdeck

    fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

    Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The bleach kills the mold. As for drying it out, I suggest putting the empty cabinet outdoors on a sunny day. And a benefit of regular bleach is that it contains no detergent or other stuff that would have to be rinsed out.

    One of my rules is: Never trust a basement or garage floor. I use old shipping pallets cut in half to keep everything that could be damaged by water off the floor. This also lets air circulate along the floor.
     
  11. bobba66

    bobba66

    May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    So, what kind of mold is best for metal?
     
  12. Costco had a product I used killed the mold on my amp MoldStat plus safe for indoor and outdoor use
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.