Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any advice on Slap Bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bryhey, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Bryhey

Bryhey

Mar 23, 2002
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Im trying to learn Slap Bass, and would like some Good advice on slap bass, nothing that will hurt my playing, but things that will enhance my sound...Ive been playing for a year, and I practice for 3 hours or so a day, so Im ready for new technique skills.

Anyone know of any good websites or books or videos to help me out?

Dunivan

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Get the Slap Bass Program video by Alexis Slarevski. Best slap instructional video on the market.

3. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    yo man I study with a guy named JOe Santerre and this is what he taught me . when you slap start with just quarter notes with the thump tap tap tap tap then go to eighths tap pluck tap pluck tap pluck tap pluck and then this is the tricky one. stomp mute the strings with your fretting hand meaning if your playing an open E and D it would go Tap mute tap pluck tap mute tap pluck tap mute tap pluck tap mute tap pluck tap mute tap pluck and play around with that doing it slow or fast. The idea is making a slap line that melody instruments can play over and yet still be funky. larry graham is great at this. this may not make you vic but it gives you something better it makes you useful

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah; don't forget your fingerstyle technique. It's still the bread and butter.

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Warwick have a good instructional web site, it has videos, and the lessons are done by Dale Titus, i dunno what you guys think of him however.

The lessons are not bad, some can be a bit vague, but apart from that they are good.

Heres the link http://www.warwickbass.com/basssurvival101/lesson_home.htm

6. If you want to hear some good slap bass technique, you should listen to Victor Wooten. In my opinion, Wooten takes the skills of Les Claypool (who is an excellent bass player) a step further. His album called "A show of Hands" really exemplifies his talent. Listening to this type of music should give you a lot of ideas on how to develop your own technique of slap bass.
    It's just a suggestion, but I hope you look into it. :)

7. shakeyeraz

shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    embellisher - where's the best place to find the video "Slap Bass Program video by Alexis Slarevski" you reference? TIA

8. Take it slow and don't kick yourself. You can't expect to wake up and be the newest, greatest slap bassist ever. Mix it with different techniques, too. Don't limit yourself to slap.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

10. Bryhey

Bryhey

Mar 23, 2002
    Ft. Myers, FL
    I mean it...Im not trying to just stick totally to slap, I keep my finger strokes practiced, I just want to learn a new skill.

Dunivan

11. I bought that video - it's great but I still can't play slap!!........ I guess buying it wasn't enough, I'm still gonna have to practice!! :D

12. Ditto.

[​IMG]

13. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    wear a wife beater, it does wonders. :confused: