Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any advice on what my second amp should be

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by travelingnobody, Oct 29, 2005.

1. travelingnobody

travelingnobody

Oct 29, 2005
    within the permaters that it should be a tube amp around 40 to 60 watts something i can gig with

2. violinco

violinco

Oct 29, 2005
    Hi, I'm new to forums. I don't think you can beat any Selmer Treble 'n Bass amp. Pound for pound (or dollar) they will beat anything out there. Build quality, looks, and really great sound is all there, and yet you can still get an absolute bargain. Best value of all are the later ones with plain leathercloth instead of crock skin.

3. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Ok, you're gonna need a LOT more than 40-60 watts for gigging.

4. violinco

violinco

Oct 29, 2005
    Regarding power.............the Selmer (and nearly all old British amps) might only be rated at 50-60 watts, but if you turn the bugger up your ears will bleed. It's like the power of a Norton Commando compared to a Honda or whatever....there's no comparison with modern stuff. I always think if you need more than 50 watts, you really need a PA system.

5. There is alot of discussion around this . . . tube amp watts and such . . . however, i'll agree with ladros2, you need alot more than 50 watts for gigging,

Travellingnobody, get an SVT-II or Mesa 400+ ;) (both ~300 watt all tube)

6. travelingnobody

travelingnobody

Oct 29, 2005
    no im talking like begining gigs and i thought tube amps are suppposed to sound like double the wattage of regular amps and i also thought about a hundred watts is good enough for gigging this might sound quite stupid of me. but i am beginer

7. Fair enough, but if you can afford it, i suggest getting something bigger, because i dont see the point in wasting a fair bit of money on a 50-60 watt tube amp, when you could get one you know you wont have to upgrade in a long time for not much more (second hand)