any advice please

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by winder, Mar 5, 2004.

1. winder

Mar 5, 2004
    :help: hi im drummer and a trainie carpenter and joiner. i am planing to make my girl a custom bass for her birthday using hardwood from an old piano i've just dismantled and a ready made neck and head stock. i am also intending to inlay ivory and ebony lettering form the old piano keys. i have never made an intrument before but i have wanted to for years. if anyone could help me out by giving advice in any way i would be very greatfull. thankyou for your time. hope to hear from you soon. :bassist:
  2. I hate to bear gloomy news but the simplicity of your question is on par with "How do you resect the plura lining of the right lung".

Though building a bass isn't rocket science, building a well playing instrument can only be the result of lots of research - hands-on and book learned (web).

So, keeping in the spirit of the proverb that giving a man a fish feeds him for a day but teaching him to fish feeds him for a lifetime...Here's some interesting links to begin your quest:

And for cripes sake do at least a manual search through the Luthiers forum here and look a specific topics.

Figure on taking the next 3 months to get a glossary and simple theory under your belt.

Ready, set, GO!