Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any advice to a new 62 vintage fender bass owner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonb9, Nov 3, 2004.

1. jonb9

jonb9

Sep 13, 2004
    I just went for it and bought an amazing 62 jazz bass. I did my homework for the purchase thanks to all your help here on this site and the emails i got.

Anyways, I'm trying to stay ahead of the game so at this point is there anything I should be doing to preserve the life of the bass or is there any common things I should look out for? Is there anything a vintage fender is known for in good or bad ways.
    I've owned many other basses and it sees like theres little issues you come to find out, so i expect a few things but I'm mainly looking for advice for care,and playability.

Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge with me. I'm blown away by how great this bass is.

2. Is this a "real" '62 Jazz or a reissue?

3. Don't smash it into anything hard :D

The finish on those is great, just keep it clean and it should be great. Rosewood board?? I think so on the 62, so it will need to be cleaned and oiled (check with fender for their recommendations) every year or two.

EDIT

Just saw it was a real 62 so nevermind. great score!!!

4. jonb9

jonb9

Sep 13, 2004
    it's the real deal, actually a refin done about 35 years ago

5. Congrats on finally getting it! Is it what you though it would be (or more!)? Refins are where it's at, real players' basses that don't completely destroy your wallet. Give me a few years and I'll try to find one just as good! In the meantime, have fun and take care of it!

If you want to preserve the life of the bass, just take great care of it. Polish it every so often, leave it in its case, don't knock it around too much, etc. Avoid rough temperature changes (hot to cold, dry to humid) and if the frets look like they're worn, try using flats or soft nickels because steels might just chew right through them.

By the way, as always, we don't believe you till you post pics! :smug:

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    An actual 62?!?!?! Outstanding find my man! I have no advice to give, as I have never owned a vintage instrument (oldest bass in my rack is from '97). I just wanted to tell you congrats, 'cause that's quite a bass you've got.

7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Yes, I have advice:

Wake up every morning, take out your bass, and kiss it. Depending on your religion, you may want to thank your God/Gods/Higher Power for allowing you to have and use such a fantastic "superfluity".

8. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    My advice is to send it to me Fedex overnight for a 4-year thorough inspection!!! But seriously folks, congrats on a great instrument!

I have an original '66 Jazz and I treat it just like any other bass as far as maintenance goes. My real worry is that, because of it's value, it might be tempting for someone to lift at a gig, so I'm extra careful.

Any photos?? Care to divulge what you payed for it??

Tony Noriega in Tampa

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Same with me, no real advice different than any other bass. Just keep a closer eye on it.

I have an original '69 Jazz, and I too treat it and maintain it like all the others. The only thing I don't do with it anymore is gig on extreem weather days (too hot/too cold). I discovered while the original finish has check'd over the years, it can still blister and flake off. And since it's a little hard to find a replacement, I never let it out of my sight to chance theft.

10. It makes you wonder how many are still out there, stashed away in attics or closets only to be sold at a garage or estate sale because the owners or custodians have no idea what they are.

11. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam
    Congrats of the '62. Being that it was 'redone', I am not sure this applies but here goes.
    The original finishes that leo fender put on these were surplus automotive paint. You might want to keep it in a bag just to be sure or you will end up with one that flakes all over.
    Actually, mine flakes..........but it sort of looks cool as the under finish of the sunburst looks like aged blond.

12. Dude sorry about my first post. When you said new 62, I assumed reissue, so every thing I said up there ^,nevermind.

Uhh I'd lock in a vault ;)

13. jonb9

jonb9

Sep 13, 2004
    Thanks everyone I'm loving it.... If anyone would like to see pic's or ask any questions feel free to email me, and oh yes I'll wake up evey day and kiss it!!!

14. My advice is to tweak your homeowner's insurance. Verify with your agent that your policy covers "replacement cost" for both musical instruments and valuable antiques. The policy will give a dollar limit per itmes such as these. Obviously, the replacement cost will be much higher in the future than what you paid for it.

Mail hard copy of a receipt and description and photo of the bass to the agent or insurance company's "underwriting dept.". And post a pic for us so we can see it. Good luck. I hope to own a '62 one day.

15. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Here's some advice. Give it to me.