Any advice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by strawburyfields, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Hey all :D , I just starting playing and was wondering if anyone had any helpful advice. It would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, Amanda, practice lots, get good idols, practice somemore. Everyone on here at TB is very helpful, just be sure to use the SEARCH function before posting a question, as alot have already been answered. Welcome to TB, enjoy your stay, cos well, you're not leaving now...
  3. BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    practice lots and lots, and never be afraid to try something new, even if it's something you dont think you'll ever use cuz u just never know. Learning different styles helps to create yer own style
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass!:cool: I am moving this to our Miscellaneous forum. This forum is for discussion of Bass Guitars. A couple of cool places to pick up some tips are the General Instruction and the Technique forums.

Oh yeah. Best bit of advice? Get a teacher.
  5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Memorize every page of this forum. Each and every one. One page is useless without knowing EVERY page that came before it. And when you are done with that, grasshopper, wash my car. Then you will truly be a bass master.

...the stuff that everyone else said is good too, but only if you want to do it the normal way... :scowl:
  6. She'll never leave...TB is extremely addictive
  7. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses's like a drug, only a good healthy one! I lvoe it here, feel right at home, and I can help people now too. Though not nearly as many others, I can still give some advice, and help in technique and theory.
    But he's right. You're not leaving, ever. You'll be on here like everyday reading stuff be ready for that.
  8. BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004

You couldnt be more right, i'm reading stuff on here every day, wether I'm at work or at home I'm always checking in to see if there are any new happenings
  9. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Be good to your mother
  10. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Hi.. Learn to use all four fingers of your fretting hand. And do it fast. As soon as you can do that a lot of people will think you are really good. Works for me. :smug:

And get in a band if you can. It's fun.
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Listen to tons of bob marley. and Chic.
  12. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Learn to fret with all four fingers and people will think you are good :confused: ? You must come from a very small place.
  13. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    In your career as a musician, there may be times in which people offer you things which you are instructed to put up your nose.

I highly suggest you do not take that advice.

Also, get a good teacher. One that actually plays bass, and not some guitarist that's looking to make extra money. He'll be invaluable. Listen to lots of different music, even stuff you don't like necessarily, and learn to pay attention to what the hallmarks of different styles are.

Listen to as many different drummers as you do bassists, and pay just as much attention.
  14. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Not really.. I haven't been playing for too long myself so I'm just saying what has helped me the most. And impressed people the most (besides the crappiest slap bassline you have ever heard). And learning to fret with four fingers goes beyond people thinking you're good. If you are a beginner and are not able to learn a bassline, it would help you a lot to gain some strength in your other fingers. I didn't think I was going to be able to be good at bass at first (I play with one finger and it was weak) but then I started to gain strengh in my other fingers.. By playing chromatic scales like this...

G 1 2 3 4
    D 1 2 3 4
    A 1 2 3 4
    E 1 2 3 4

Edit: ok so that didn't turn out so good.. oh well. Just play what it says from the bottom to the top. And then you can play this from top to bottom if you want:

G 4321
    D 4321
    A 4321
    E 4321

And so on...

Play that over and over again up and down the fretboard.. I mean you can play it in other places like..

A 5 6 7 8
    E 5 6 7 8

And so on..

Playing that will make you a better bassist, you will get stronger fingers. If you play it in front of the TV or something (or while on the computer, like I do), it will also help you get better at not looking at the fretboard so much. Which isn't a big deal but if you do it anyway you can get more familiar with the fretboard even if you do still look at it while playing.

15. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Yeah. :bassist:

Who is Chic?
  16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    You must be joking...
  17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Play as often as you can and get a teacher. Progress, unless you're a prodigy, will be gradual. It wasn't until the last couple months that I realized truly how much progress I've made since the two years I've been playing. Don't get discouraged. You'll eventually land in a rut, everyone does. And you'll come to some pretty inspiring points where you make lots of progress in a few short months. Learn your scales, your chords, learn to read music, and learn to use your ear.

Most of all, become physically comfortable with your instrument. Everything's going to come harder if the strings are a mile high off the fretboard, or you have to pull them like suspension bridge cables. Play a lot, and you'll adjust until you become aware of what you like about your bass (and other basses), and what you don't like. Then, you can setup your instrument to your tastes :).