Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BalefulAnubis, Sep 17, 2004.

1. BalefulAnubis

BalefulAnubis

Sep 17, 2004
    ok i am a bass player for a metal band fairly brutal metal guitar player uses 2 4x12 cabs with a marshall 100 wt preamp to a marshall 100 watt head drummer is loud and vocalist is crazy loud i have it narrowed between 3 amps i have a 2x12 cab to use with whichever one i get just looking for quality volume etc.... a carvin pb 200 15 160 watts 1x15 obviously....yorkville xm 200 200 watts 1x15 or a peavey tnt 115 200 watts 1x15 if anyone has or has had one if you have any advice i need it lol thanks
    Anubis

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Your guitarist uses 2 4x12s?

IMHO, You need more than what you've listed here... ALOT more. It's so wide open from there, I can't even make a suggestion.

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I'm thinking at the very least a 400watt head with a 4x10 cab. 400+ with an 8x10 would be better. :D

4. BalefulAnubis

BalefulAnubis

Sep 17, 2004
    but im broke :) he can turn down and we use a pa at gigs so i dont need all that much. mainly for hearing myself at practice, would be nice though. i was wondering what you all thought of the brands which you prefer peavey yorkville or carvin they are all fairly equal in wattage speaker size and options
    Anubis

5. Ashdown mag300 head very cheap or Behringer BX3000 also very cheap, 307w and a loud amp good for rock and the like, could use the onboard octaver for really low end grunt.

UK prices £250 new approx not sure about over in USA maybe they hike the prices up like they do for us on Ampeg etc ??!!

Mart

6. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    I have a PB200 Carvin and it's junk! It's for jamming with a stereo not a band. Just say NO to PB200 (or any Corvin in my mind)..... :spit:

I also played with a guitar player that had 412's and 350w's. If you can feel it he wasn't load eough. (there's a reason I don't play music with him anymore!) I used a SWR 210/115/4004 with 400watts it wasn't enough with my Jazz bass until I got a Sans amp. Then we were on the same level. Then I got a Musicman Stingray bass and ran the Sans amp. I kicked his Marshall butt all over the place! Check out the Sans Amp, under $200!!! It'll wake up any rig..

If that's not enough and your really looking for more power and speaker for little money, go Peavey. The stuff is heavey (little play on words :p ) but you can drop it from a truck and still play it and used comb rig don't cost big bucks... Look at the TNT115 it'll run down to 2ohms with 200watts. Good deal, check out used.

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

I don't have much experience with Carvin and Yorkville but I can tell you that you can't go too wrong with Peavey gear.
    There are a lot of Peavey bashers out there but I have owned two amps from them and they are both still going strong after 17 years. My Combo 300 is still kicking after all the use/abuse that I have given it. My son plays bass now and he uses it. Buy one, keep it in the family and pass it down to your kids. :D

8. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    Edwcdc,
    Your right there's better, there's lighter but Peavey will always get the job done! I like the SM58 of bass amps.

If a Serman tank drove though you naborhood it'd kick some butt even though there's newer stronger and faster tanks out there.

9. I'll second this suggestion. I was in a somewhat similar situation to yours a while back. I was using a Peavey TNT combo in a loud rock band (though not as loud as you describe) and struggling to be heard. Even when I went direct through the PA, I could easily be heard in the house but struggled to hear myself onstage.

My initial solution was to buy a more powerful amp and a 2X12 cab. Their response was to turn up even more! Even with this new rig I was barely able to keep up without my amp going into clipping, and this was at practice!

At our last practice, I decided to use my SansAmp Bass Driver DI as a stompbox out in front of my amp, instead of its usual place as my "backup amp" direct box. Jeebus but was that sweet!!! At first I was using my amp's EQ section as previously set, but then I just set the amp EQ flat and let the SABDDI do all the tonal shaping for me. I'm not sure how it did this, but it was able to sweeten and improve my tone, as well as to increase my volume without overdriving my amp into clipping. I can honestly say my tone has never been better, and I will continue to use this little pedal in this manner from now on. In fact, I had toyed with the idea of getting an even more powerful amp in order to get my tone at my required volume level. No more!!!!!

10. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    Right on Brother! Sans Amps Rock!!!

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I can attest to this... A Peavey TNT is not going to cut, from what you're describing. They're not bad amps, but there just isn't enough juice & 1 15" driver is kinda limiting your cone surface area.

12. HRC Matt

HRC Matt

Aug 31, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    gallien-krueger head 700rb II...450 used... maybe...don't enjoy peavey bass speakers to much...i say go with the 115 carvin...i friend of mine had the 210 combo and i like the sound

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You have more problems than just amp power, as a 2x12 cabinet isn't going to hack it either. However, all is not lost if you have either good woodworking skills of your own or have a friend who does. Chances are your 2x12 box has drivers with a sensitivity of perhaps 98dB/1 watt/1meter (that's average). You can take those drivers and put them into horn loaded boxes with sensitivity of 108dB/1watt/1meter. Now your drivers powered by 100 watts will have the same output capability as if they were driven by 1000 watts. Then it will be the guitar player wondering why he can't hear himself.

There are a number of sources for DIY horn loaded loudspeaker plans, including my site; since you have the drivers expect to have to pay less than a hundred bucks per box for the materials.

14. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    Don't forget guys, he has a 212 cabinet and the TNT puts out 150watts with the 15 it comes with but it also built for a 4ohm add on and will run 200watts at 2ohms. That'll give him 115 and 212's with 200watts. That's not bad cone area, little low on the watts but thats what a SWR 2004 puts out and people gig with less cone area.

15. BalefulAnubis

BalefulAnubis

Sep 17, 2004
    all right i know i need more and better gear lol but ill make do with what i can get im checking into a few and found a used tnt that is 200 watts outputting 300 to my 2x12 and its fairly inexpensive and im looking into the other suggestions thanks all
    Anubis

16. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    BalefulAnubis,
    300w it to 115/212 should put out some good strong low end and add some punch. Try it out you be happier. If you need more punch add the Sans amp.
    What bass are you running?

17. BalefulAnubis

BalefulAnubis

Sep 17, 2004
    5 string active peavey grind and a 4 string passive fender p-bass '81
    Anubis

18. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Try finding a used GK head; 800 RB would do it through a 4-10. If tubes are your bag I am a big fan of the SVT as the solution to guitar players who think that the guitar is a percusive insturment :help: However used they are spendy and who knows how old the tubes are inside. I have been very impressed by how LOUD GK gear is for the money and used it is just a steal I think. The only other idea is just asking the guitar player to lower the volume.....

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    To keep pace with 100 or 200 watts (I never heard of a 100-watt pre-amp ... that'd drive the living crap out of any amp ... blow it up, in fact), you'll need, at the very least, 600 watts and the speakers to handle it. Really, you'll need 1,000 watts if you want any headroom at all.

20. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    Sorry didn't see the pre amp thing.. Don't run a 100watt amp into another amp! Run the TNT 115/212 set up by it's self.. If it works you may set the other amps aside for a rainy day..