Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any advice .............

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by My_man_Freddy, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Hey Mike do you have any advice on to tell a good bass from a cheap and nasty one for new bass players??????:D

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

well, that's a tough one. a new player doesn't have the experience to know what feels and sounds good yet. having an experienced repair person check out would be the best advice. you want a bass that doesn't have a twisted neck, good intonation (all the notes on the neck play in tune), fretted notes that don't buzz and good sound coming out of the jack. a lot of stuff can be adjusted by a good tech, in fact all new bass have to be "set-up" to be right. nothing usually plays right just for you right off the wall-hanger. for a beginner, a bass that's kind of hard to play is a good thing in a way so it will build up strength in your fingers - sort of like training to run by jogging in the sand. I say to bring a bass you might potentially want to a quality repairman and have him check it out and give it an assessment - sort of like buying a used car, know what I mean?

on bass, watt