Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Alesis MIDI users here? Help!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Sep 10, 2002.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Where can I find a cable that runs from the serial port of my QS7 synth to the MIDI port of my computer? The cable that came with my keyboard is for Macs only. My local music store told me I need a special adapter and to run 2 MIDI cables but I think they're pulling my leg.

Oh yeah, I thought Alesis went bankrupt and was bought out by Newmark. So why are there new versions of the QS series of keyboards in MF? :confused:

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If your computer has a sound card with a game port on it that's what you will use to hook your MIDI gear up. Any music store or many computer stores will have the adapter you need. What MIDI applications are you planning on using on your computer?

3. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    My computer has a Joystick/MIDI port in the front(female, 8/7 pins). I'm going to use it for music notation in real time using Finale 2002. Thanks for the reply!

4. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I believe that you are good to go with what you have hardware wise.

http://www.provantage.com/PR_65165.HTM

There's the adapter you need, it will work with any MIDI software and 99.9999% of the joystick adapters out there. You mention the "serial port" on the QS7, was that a typo? Doesn't the keyboard have a standard MIDI in/out/thru?

Sorry I have no experience with Finale or notation, only light duty MIDI sequencing.

5. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Thanks for that link. . .that's the adapter I need, but another place was selling them for $40!

The Alesis indeed has a serial port on the back but it doesn't look like a computer's serial port. It looks more like a MIDI terminal with two additional pins I think. You plug it into one of your computer's serial ports. Unfortunately, I'm already using my computer's serial port for my UPS, so I'm going to have to use my joystick/MIDI port. That adapter should work well.

6. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I assume the Alesis has a standard MIDI in/out/thru also?

7. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Oh yeah, it's got it all!:cool: