Any All-Tube Users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tapp, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Any of you guys use all-tube rigs? I love getting funny looks from other bass players when I show up at the gig with my '73 Sunn Model T tube head (modified with KT90 output tubes) and usually a single Eden 2-10XLT or 2-2-10XLT's. I call it "Best of old school and new" and the Sunn is not nearly the weight of an SVT. I've used Eden heads, SWR amps, etc but there's something about a tube rig that helps me cut thru so much better and I'm used to that added natural compression tubes have. When I used Eden heads I would loose myself in the mix more often than not.

2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i use an old all tube head made in italy by eko. it's not the best for sure in features but i love the clean sound from this head.
  3. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I use two eden 410XLT's with either a '72 SVT or my Mesa 400+. My practice amp is a '66 Ampeg B-15. I've never used a solid state amp that could keep up with me. Gimme tubes, dammit, and lots of 'em.
  4. Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    Hey,i've got an old sunn model-t in my studio and i haven't tried it on bass yet! I use an ampeg sb12 and mic it and it's a great tone for my beatles and 60 ' s group.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have an SVT II-PRO all tube head w/an SVT 810. LOVE IT!!!!! To bad it's SOOOO damn HEAVY!!!!!! :( I have an SVT 410 HLF & I've been thinking of getting an Ampeg B2R head to do smaller shows.
  6. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Nothin' but! :D...

• [​IMG]
  7. Mesa Boogie here.....Buster 200.....
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Trace Elliot V4

I have used valves more often than not. Funny thing is that I like the sound of a valve amp clean.
  9. I use all tube gear exclusively, even in my home stereo (except the CD player:D).

10. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    You know there IS such a beast? ;)
    (click the pic for specs) ...

11. JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    OK, I had to put my stuff here - so

'72 AMPEG SVT w/8x10 SVT cab
    '72 AMPEG B15-S
    '62 AMPEG SB-12

Not so tubist!

'94 SWR Redhead (tube pre-amp) w/Basic2Way
    80s Peavey MarkIII w/2x10+1x18 Black Widow cab.

Not mine anymore!

late 60s Fender Bass 50W - sniff it's gone!
  12. I own one of the new Ampeg V4-b 100w tube head. I use it matched to 2x10 & 1x15 (ampeg) cabs... I LOVE IT! My Ricky bass loves it, too! :D
  13. I own one of the new Ampeg V4-b 100w tube head. I use it matched to 2x10 & 1x15 (ampeg) cabs... I LOVE IT! My Ricky bass loves it, too! :D [​IMG]
  14. All tube here:

Ampeg V4
    Ampeg V4B
    Jansen Bassman 50
    Jansen Bassman 6/35
    Holden Wasp XL

Anything that wasn't tube has either died over the years or was sold 'cause it sucked, apart from me new Eden, prolly 'cause I haven't got it yet! :D
  15. Yeah, but I'll never snag one of those at a yard sale for $25. :D

16. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I went back to using a tube amp 3 years ago. I had forgotten just how great they sound, and i'm glad that I did. My rig consists of a Peavey Classic 400 (when I replaced the original tubes a few years ago and rebiased her, the RMS output was 445 watts at 4 ohms of pure tube power).
    I use the Classic 400 to drive my two Peavey 410TXF (8 ohm each) cabinets.
    Great rig, but it scares the **** out of the older crowd when they walk in and see it sitting there.
  17. Not to sound stupid, but I will anyway...

I have never used "tubes" and was wondering if someone could give me a comparision. If not that is cool, it just seems like "tubes" are the way to go...
  18. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Yep....Nothin' but tubes

Selmer 100 watt head (4xEL34/6ca7)
    + Burman 120 watt slave (4xKT77)
    = Seriously loud!
  19. To me, they sound better. If you like the bass sound you hear on old 1960's rock, and even most of the 1970's stuff, that's pretty much the old tube sound. Definitely not Hi-Fi.

If you like the newer "plinkety-plink - chink -kachink" type sound, tubes probably aren't what you are looking for.

Also, they are old technology, and subject to a little more maintenance, or at least a little more love and care, than modern solid state amps. You don't just throw it into the back of a truck from 4 feet away and expect it to always work. If you treat them real nice, they actually are not any trouble. I work on my own amps, so even if they break, I fix them for free, but my amps pretty much work fine all the time anyway.

They definitely give me the exact set of sounds I'm looking for. And did I mention they are heavy as lead? :D