Any "alternative country" fans in this group?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Max, Apr 13, 2001.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have been listening to the new Old 97s CD, (which I think is outstanding,) and was wondering whether there were any
    "yallternative" fans in this group who like Wilco, Son Volt, Old 97s, Uncle Tupelo, etc.? Anyone?
  2. Yeah Max! You should check out The Derailers, esp the Deluxe Reverb CD, and also Jim Lauderdale, esp his Whisper CD. Trent
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Alternative country? Wouldn't that be a little like riding a Honda in a Harley club?
  4. Good call, Max.. I am a big fan of Son Volt, especially "Trace".. saw them a couple of times in concert, they were great. It's all about great songs with those guys. I haven't gotten into Wilco as much, but I really dug Uncle Tupelo.
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have one Uncle Tupelo CD (Anodyne) that I really like. Of course I'm a big Steve earle fan if you would consider him alternative country. He certainly isn't mainstream. I have one Lucinda Williams CD (Car Wheels on a gravel road) that was produced by Steve Earle that's pretty damn good. just to name a few. Alot of people don't know what alternative country or insurgent country is. which isn't too surprising be cause the folks who play it also have a hard time defining. I would say if it's not being played on top 40 country radio (YUK) has meaningful lyrics, sounds like country, rock, folk, blues, all mixed together and has a lot of soul., I like it!

As far as the Honda into a Harley club goes.... No I think it would be the other way around.
  6. I listen to that stuff every now and then. I like Slobberbone and The Drive-By Truckers. Steve Earle is good too, and Whiskeytown. If you're an alt-country fan, try the new album by Ryan Adams (former singer for Whiskeytown). It's called Heartbreaker. Very good. I also like the Arlo Guthrie stuff Wilco has done with Billy Bragg recently.
  7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I personally like this genre a lot, and I also think that "alt-country" isn't a very good moniker for it. We really should put our heads together to think of a better one. Nowadays, with "country" meaning a pile of would-be model-types singing crossover pop tunes (all image, no substance), I really hate to use the word at all for fear of misleading somebody.

The alternative to country, in my book, is all the stuff you guys have listed above and also some of the really traditional stuff. I've been listening to BR-549 a lot lately, and I also like Hank Williams III's stuff too.
  8. I agree, "alt-country" leaves something to be desired. The best nickname for this genre that I've heard (Max mentioned it up top) is "y'allternative." It's also been referred to as "No Depression," which I believe is also the name of a 'zine dedicated to the genre.
  9. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I think Americana also fits as a name for the genre.
    It's weird because it's hard to imagine
    Hank III, Junior Brown, Steve Earle and Sun Volt all under the same genre label.
    As far as no depression I never have liked calling it that because I think some of the music is very depressing (Wilco for example). Yes I know they named it that after the song by Maybelle Carter.

Anyone looking for more info should check this page out. This guy has been att it for awhile so it's pretty extensive
  10. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    If you want a little y'allternative check out Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, the lead guitarist used to be the lead for the Gin Blossoms, the lead singer and drummer used to be in the Refreshments, the other guitarist was in Dead Hot Workshop, and the bassist wasn't in any other bands to my knowledge. Some of those band names might not jump out at you, since only the Gin Blossoms had major commercial success. Anyway, they sound very country on the album Honky Tonk Union, but live it's really rock based with a touch of twang. They're not on a label, and do everything via the internet, and have 2 albums (the previously mentioned Honky Tonk Union, and then a live album Real 2 Reel).

Also I love Wilco's album Summerteeth, I have Songs From Mermaid Avenue Vol. 2 with Billy Bragg, have haven't really had a chance to get into it. Maybe someday I'll get the chance to just sit and listen to it.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh, Junior Brown is alt country? OK, well then we play alt country ... "Highway Patrol."
  12. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Oh Man, I love Junior Brown! That guy has a great package going...everything seems seriously retro-trad country and then POW!...he rips off Hendrix licks on his lap steel neck. I bet he's seriously whacked out and would be a blast to hang out with.
  13. Actually, No Depression is the title of an Uncle Tupelo album (Maybelle Carter reference acknowledged). I imagine the magazine's name comes from the same source.

I think alt-country or insurgent country still are much better terms than yallternative, which frankly, I have never heard of before from any of my friends. I also think Americana is becoming a much more acceptable term.
  14. Music genre labels have nearly killed rock & roll, at least on radio. It all was rock & roll in the late 60's & early 70's. This genre has led me to some of my favorite new music, however. Log on to Live and go to the site call "ALT TWANG". Lucinda Williams, John Hiatt, Shelby Lynne, Catie Curtiss, Old 97's, Wilco, Julie Miller, Golden Smog, Patty Griffin,Backsliders, Alejandro Escovedo, all came into my collection from listening here. There's alot more rock than country on these discs.

Or we can all go to Austin Texas which seems to be the pot brewing alot of this music. Maybe the name of this genre should be ALT TWANG. Happy listening and playing..... Orrville
  15. You guys like the term "Cowpunk" better? That's what they've called Dwight Yoakam's music for years now. The funny thing is Yoakam is usually hard hillbilly/rockabilly country. He does some off the wall stuff at times, but he's country. I love his stuff, but i've always maintained that if some fat guy in a Moose lodge was doing what Yoakam does, many of Yoakam's fans would hate it. It's all about his image and looks to some of his fans. Preception goes a long, long ways. I've been told by people with a straight face that they hate the "twangy" country music, but love Dwight Yoakam kind of stuff. Who's "twangier" than Yoakam? It's stupid really, but what can you do about it? Trent
  16. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm with Mcchildree, I hate to even say the term "Country" cause I don't want people thinking I'm talking about all this bullsh*t on CMT that is passing for country music nowadays just because there's a steel guitar in it and the singer is wearing a cowboy hat.

I love Steve Earle. I was just listening to him the other day actually. Not the greatest singer but a damn good song writer. Love the song "Guitar Town". For fans of really rocking country, I suggest checking out a band called Shaver. Billie Joe Shaver (who of course wrote a ton of songs for Waylon Jennings) formed the band with his son Eddy (who sadly passed away last year). For some rocking Country, check out Live at Smith's Olde Bar. Keith Christopher is on that album and he plays a mean bass. The album really shows how talented the band is, and they use dynamics to great effect on the whole album.

As far as bands I like that would fall into the "alt-country" category, I really love Reckless Kelly, Project Nim, The Kentucky Headhunters, Mr. Blotto, and Blue Dogs.

As far as Dwight Yoakam. He's probaly my favorite Country artist. I do agree, he does have a definate image, but I honesty think he has the music to back it up. He also breaks down the stereotype of Country singers being dumb hillbillies. Read or watch an interview with him, he is very intelligent.

On that note, I can't stand most mainstream Country out right now. These wussy pretty boy Country singers need to read my Travis Tritt quote in my sig, cause all of this Country is just watered down pop with a steel guitar. :mad:
  17. ohiobob227

Aug 18, 2001
    Cloverdale, CA
    Whatever you call the Genre, I love it. I tend to refer to it as either '' or 'good twangy stuff', but that's just me. I was working in a movie theater when Clay Pigeons opened, so I heard 'Timebomb' I don't know how many times, and since the Old Dude already was into Son Volt, I was hooked. I still have yet to own a record that gets as much play as the Old 97's 'Wreck Your Life'. "Tryin like Hell to get better, but I'm gearin myself for the worst... Punk Rock'll get you if the government don't get you first." Now if only I could pull off convincing country basslines....

dude's roadie
  18. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I don't consider myself a fan of country music, but I love this stuff, whatever you call it. Wreck Your Life by the Old 97's is one of the few CDs I've never gotten tired of. I'm also into the Bottle Rockets, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams (though she's about as close to real country as I can comfortably get), Dave Alvin, and the Beat Farmers (my all-time favorite live band). I like Wilco but not Son Volt, which is way too whiny for my taste.

BTW, Keith Christopher is playing with Dan Baird (ex-Georgia Satellites) in the Yayhoos these days. Their debut CD is well worth checking out, and they rock live. Keith is a great bass player.