Any Alternatives to a Fender-style Thumb Rest?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Sep 15, 2005.

1. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I'm trying to mod my Schecter Stiletto Elite-4. It has pretty standard pickup placement (EMG 35 Housings). It can be seen HERE.

I want to add a thumb rest (red or black color) directly between the 2 pickups almost like the edge of a ramp would add. I only want it to go from the very edge of the pickups (top) to the E string (about 1-2 centimeters). I don't really like the standard Fender style thumbrest and it doesn't look very ergonomic in the first place.

Anybody know of a place to buy more interesting thumb rest or thumb rest materials for this modification.

P.S. - Anybody out there ever added a thumb rest (not ramp) to a non-Fender style bass out there? Add pics, if possible, please.
  2. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    First/Last BUMP. Don't let this thread die with zero replies. Nobody else uses thumb rests?

3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Talk to anyone that's handy with wood and see if they'd be willing to carve you one.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think that the setup on the Line6 Variax bass is pretty good. I generally anchor on the lowest string.
  5. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    But does anybody know of ones that can be bought online? The variax thumbrest is far too long. ;)

6. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    I used an ebony baby grand piano key on my Sting RI. I sawed it in half to make it the same height as the pickup and left the length, but you could cut it to any size.
  7. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI

I'll be the first to say it.....Genius