1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Aluminum neck Kramer players out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SanDiegoHarry, Sep 9, 2008.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I had a 6000b (bought new at GC in San Diego, 1979) that I loved... and I'm considering buying a buddy's project Kramer just for fun.

I'm just curious - any folks still play these? I did a forum search and while there are a few posts, most are old and none too kind to the heavy old girls...

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I know a guy around here that plays one. He used to work in a music store back in the day, and got it from the rep pretty cheap.

3. I thought long and hard about one in a local music store not too long ago, but didn't have $700 to invest in it. I really like them.

4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I've got a black split head Flying Vee that I've had for 8 years or so and gig it from time to time. Never fails to draw attention and comments, particularly from other bass players. I got it from a guy that played metal. The strings were actually laying on the pickup. Just a minor adjustment and it was ready to go. I've only seen one other Flying Vee. :cool:

5. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    Don't forget Travis Bean's all aluminum neck basses. Recall that Gary Kramer was one of two partners with Travis before Kramer decided to head out and form his own company after differences of opinion on production methods. I still occasionally play a fretted TB2000 that I bought from a friend in 1987, but nowadays I play primarily fretless. Some may complain about the weight, but I don't find mine that heavy. Its just a great sounding bass and I've alway liked using D'Addario XL170 strings on it.

I had thought about and had the opportunity to buy a Kramer a few years ago, but let it go. Perhaps I should have bought it. If you really like them, why not buy your buddy's project bass. I'd just do it and not worry about second thoughts. Aluminum-necked basses are becoming scarcer each year and the prices are climbing.

Lloyd Howard

PS: Staying in shape and maintaining upper body strength was the key for me not to have issues with the weight of the bass. My fretless is about 1/2 lb lighter than the TB2000 and as long as I keep in shape, the weight is not an issue. Being in shape also helps with playing double bass, which is a much more labor intensive instrument.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I am seriously considering buying a 78/79 Kramer. Not sure of the model but the body looks kinda like a Wal, it has 2 silver H pickups and the aluminum neck.

It is a toss up between the Kramer and a Parker. I will likely have one of the 2 in a few days if all works out.

BTW, IMO the Kramers are pretty fugly but they sound really good on a gig suprisingly!

7. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I played an aluminum necked (V headstock) Kramer for a bit. Great tone, nice and heavy how I like em, with that cool ebonol board.

Someone installed an emg which sounded great.

I just couldnt live with the neck dive. Before you buy one, be sure you try it and actually sling it for a bit and dont just sit and play.

Got it in a trade in the rig shakeup of '95, wasnt in a band for a while so it sat, and sold it about 6 or so years ago as I started playing again. TOO much neck dive. Nice tone though.

I'll find some pics.

EDIT- no pics on photobucket. Shame. I remember the deal though. I brought a hartke 210xl, a squire strat (1985 or 6 model), my fender P bass "contemporary" (1988), a couple boss effects stomp boxes, and a 50 watt fender bassman head for a 6 string alvarez acoustic electric (that was AWESOME and got stolen a few years later) and the Kramer bass, which I described

He got the better deal that day, but I was lookin for change! YIKES!

8. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I've got an XKB20 like this, except the pup is white. Rarely ever play it. +1 on the neck dive. It sounds real bright and zingy, I was thinking a dark and thumpy pup might make it more usable.

Attached Files:

9. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

I own a '79 DMZ-5000 that I've owned since 1982. Was my main bass for about 20 years. Great sounding bass. I'll see if I can get a photo uploaded.

10. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I used to play and still own a Kramer voyager. It is kinda like a "duke" but with a uglier pointy body. I've been looking to get a vaccaro the last couple years, but I haven't seen one pop up. Anyone got a line on one?

11. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I played an XB 20 in the '80s. It was one of the best balanced basses I ever played. It weighed a ton though.

Now I have a 1980 Duke headless.

12. brobot

brobot

Jun 29, 2008
    Philly
    hey everyone - my first post on this forum (it's great, by the way). i have a dmz 5000 from '79 I believe. it's funny, i went from a Danelectro Longhorn (short-scale) to this beast. Talk about polar opposites. The weight and neck dive really got to me after a while, so I didn't pick it up for about 2 years. After using a fender jaguar bass for a while, I went back to the kramer the other day. Not nearly as heavy as I remember and it sounds great. really growly - the pickups seem pretty hot. also, it has a badass bridge, which I can't tell if that's standard or not (bought it used).

I'm definitely going to break it out more in the future.