Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any amp/cab/combo suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McBassist, Aug 29, 2005.

1. McBassist

McBassist

Aug 24, 2005
    I'm looking for suggestions for upgrading my sound.

I currently have a Roland BN-60watt 1x15 8 ohm, great-sounding little combo but I need more oomph for upcoming gigs in small/medium-sized bars/clubs and outdoor shows (PA support is available for all).

I recently got a MM Sterling bass, and I'm so impressed & happy with its quality and playability and sound that now I want an amp that I'll be equally impressed/happy with.

Here's my parameters:
    1) $1000 spending limit
    2) Quality/durability a must (American made?)
    3) Prefer combo but will consider amp/cab
    4) 2x10? 2x12? 1x15?

Also, I'm considering going 2x10 or 2x12 on the new gear and running it with the Roland 1x15 (for more low end). I also need suggestions on whether to:
    1) Run the Roland stereo with the new amp
    2) Run the Roland series with the new amp
    3) Use just the Roland speaker with the new amp
    4) Use the Roland (stereo or series) for on-stage monitering
    5) Forget the Roland (except for home practice)
    6) Some better suggestion I haven't thought of

I'd love to hear your ideas.

Thanks.

McB

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Eden Metro or Peavey BAM as far as combos go.

I'll let someone else shout out the Avatar recommendation. :D

-Mike

3. McBassist

McBassist

Aug 24, 2005
    Richard -

What have you heard about that Carvin combo? Good stuff from actual users?

Thanks

McB

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Yes, not many yet, but what I've heard is good. Too bad I'm probably not going to SoCal anytime soon--I'd try one out myself.

If you go over to the Carvin forum, you can ask around there. Naturally, because it's a Carvin site, there will be some self-selection going on, and as a result, most of the posters will be generally inclined to be positive. For the most part, people go there because they use, like, or at least are interested in Carvin gear. As you would expect. Still, there are a number of intelligent and judicious posters there whose opinions are worth listening to, and relatively few stark raving fanboys (I won't say none). Not all the comments about gear on that board are raves, by any means.

I have a B1500 amp, which is sort of the big brother of the amp in that combo. It's a very good head IMO, and if the BRX212 is built to the same standard, as it should be, it should be a solid piece of gear. I don't make over-the-top gear recommendations as a rule--as in, "dude you have to get this, it totally DESTROYS everything else near it, Peavey SUXX in comparison." I usually don't even like reading those. I'll just say I think the BRX212 is likely to be good gear and worth considering, on the basis of my experience with similar stuff so far, and leave it at that.

I also think the Peavey and Eden combos mj5150 mentioned are good gear. I think the Carvin might be a bit easier to transport in some situations, because of its shape and design. I used to have an Eden Airehead cab, which was sorta like a Metro but with an empty rack space instead of the amp, and for me, because of its width, it was a little hard to move around (but then, I live in a walk-up with skinny stairs).

5. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    lol....you forgot the GrooveBass 1200 reference as well ...but you didn't hear that from me :smug:

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Used SVT-II (non pro) and an Avatar 2x10. :ninja:

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Hmm. I guess I'd recommend a separate head and cabinet, but not go so far as to recommend a separate preamp/power amp component rig.

This will give you flexibility to add/subtract cabs as you grow, yet still give you compactness and portability. You may not realize that you're actually paying a PREMIUM to buy an integrated combo. Separate the head/cab and get more for your $$$. Oh, and buy used here on TB, the Dude Pit, or Bassgear.com.

This head:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195692

or,

FOR SALE: SWR SM-400
    Posted: : 08/30/2005
    Category: Bass Amps
    Condition: Good
    Asking Price: $350.00

Older SWR SM-400. Good cosmetic shape, rack rash on the ears and top/bottom but not on the face. Works perfectly and sounds good. Moving to a pre/power setup. Prepal show's them selling at above $400: http://www.prepal.com/data/SWR.htm
    I'll sell for $350 shipped (lower 48/negotiable elsewhere).

Only gonna accept Paypal this time... tired of receiving counterfeit checks from fun and interesting people overseas...

Trade offers? Will consider adding cash towards Eden Navigator or an even swap for newer Ampeg SVP-Pro. Might consider SVP-CL or Mesa V-twin rackmount version... a mint Geddy Lee or lined-fretless Wal... (hey, someone might be crazy!)

FULL NAME: Jason Locher
    PHONE:
    CITY, STATE: Tualatin OR
    EMAIL: brothernewt@msn.com
    SEE PICTURE: http://community.webshots.com/user/brothernewt

or,

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Old-Stock-2...ryZ23787QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This cab:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198377

or,

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
  9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Groove Bass does rule!

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I would strongly suggest going the head/cab route instead of a combo. The ability to upgrade by adding cabs in addition to not having to sell off gear makes it well worth it. With a head, and eventually two cabs you will have the flexability of three different rigs for different situations.
    The Bag End S15d, @ under $400 new is a great value. It produces lot's of volume and sounds great, very capable of handling the venues you described, especially w/ PA support. While this cab doesn't have a tweeter, it's got plenty of top end and ton's of mids, but it does lack that "modern sparkle" that many people like when slapping. They make a coax version of this cab, but it's a bit more $$. The cabs are make in USA.
    There's alot of amps out there to choose from, new and used. If you get an amp with more power than you need now, you will be able to add cabs later without having to sell it off to purchase a bigger one.
    I recently got a little Ashdown Electric Blue 180(made in UK) for smaller gigs and it sounds wonderfull with the BE cab, but it's not suitable for driving 2 cabs. All in all, though, those two pieces of equipment can be had for around $650 and IMO, you'd be hardpressed to find more sound for the $$$!!

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    My SWR 210 Combo can push 400 watts into two cabs @ 4 ohms.

It's quite a beast and it sounds good. Not to mention as portable as any 210. It's important to me because I might have to drag it into the Middle East later on.

If I added an extra cab that's only 2 pieces vs amp + cab1 + cab2 that I have to carry for separates.

12. McBassist

McBassist

Aug 24, 2005
    To all who replied and those yet to...

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful and informative.

The Eden Metro and Peavey Bam are out of my price range, new anyway, and I DO want new.

Carvin BX212 and SWR 210 sound good, especially being California-born products like me and my MM Sterling bass.

Kustom GrooveBass is a possibility, too, though the 310 one that I like is out of my price range.

I should've mentioned I play mostly hard rock, so a slap-happy amp or a smooth jazz set-up is NOT necessary.

The Avatar and Bag End stuff looks great, almost too good for the price. Is it? But I would need a bit of a monster to drive those pups, and don't know if I can afford said monster.

Keep it coming!

Thanks

- McB

13. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I play a Groove Bass / Avatar rig. The head and a Avatar 2x12 cab can be had for well under $1000 and for right around $1000 - $1100 you can have a 2x10 and 1x12 setup with the Groove bass head like mine (not including the rack tuner, power conditioner, rack bag).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]