Any Ampeg SVT4 Pro users having problems?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rock&Roll, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    Hey all. I've seen a lot of the old threads about the SVT4 Pro amp. Everyone appeared to be happy with them.

Since I am in the process of maybe buying one of these amps, I checked Ampeg's own site and forums to see what other people were saying. That is where I ran into threads like this one.

A number of people on those forums report problems of the amp cutting out and not functioning well at all. My gut feeling is that the people having problems have most likely wired their speakon connectors incorrectly. Since I've found most everyone here to be more electronically competant than your avereage consumer, I wannted to check with you guys. I need a dependable and sturdy amplifier.

Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Those folks sound like the lamest bunch of bozos ever.......I hope they don't show up over here.

I am not so sure I would take anything they say too seriously. You checked out the Cratepeg 4PRO threads here....most everyone seems to be happy, the major arguments seem to be about tone between various makes.
  3. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    Yeah, cool. I figured that it was their neglegence.

It's interesting you use the word "cratepeg". That just doesn't sound good. Is there something I should know? :eyebrow: I just played one through a 8x10, 6x10, 2 different 4x10's, and a 1x15. Sounded like a dream with the long as it's not the equivelant quality of a POS crate.......shudder

One does assume that any current production modern design amplifier is using IC's and miniturized printed circuit boards with less than stellar power supplies. Never the less, I would like to get something new and reliable with good tone that could allow me to make the best of what is available. Aguilar is just way too much money. Mainly, this amp needs to be able to handle some touring action that is coming up.
  4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    St. Louis Music owns Crate, which (I believe) Ampeg is a division of
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    is a term used by folks here wishing to put down Ampeg because they are owned by a company called Saint Louis Music (SLM) which also maufactures Crate amps. IMO this is just an attempt to belittle Ampeg because they are most often the standard which other bass amps are compared. Of course most of them don't realize that other bass amp brands are also owned by parent companies that make other brands. Eden owned by US music who also make washburn guitars. (washden?) Trace eliot owned by Gibson who makes
    Epiphone guitars and basses (Epitrace?) SWR who is owned by Fender which ..... well isn't that bad enough? Anyway you catchmy drift I'm sure. Anyway if you've done a search on this topic I'm sure you've seen my opinion an SLM Ampeg amps. Many years of weekend gigging with no problems.
  6. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If I had a dollar for every time I saw a 4Pro in a touring band's arsenol, I could afford to buy one myself.

It's a powerhouse of a head with decent features you dont find everywhere. I should be a very sturdy road amp for you.
  7. I had one that had one of the power amps burn up after about 6 months... I also saw the horror stories online about the heads. Sounded great...but I would not buy one again. I'm in the process of buying an SVT-3PRO right now, so I love Ampeg! If you really want the power the 4 pro puts out, get the SVP and a 1000+ watt power'll still have that great Ampeg tone, and a more powerful/modular/reliable setup.
  8. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The 5 year warranty took care of that right?
  9. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I had no problems with my SVT4 PRO whatsoever when I had it ,however,I decicded that I wanted a little more power so I'm now using the SVP 1600 power amp with the SVCPL pre amp and I'm Loving it ! I 've gone thru just about all of the hi-name amps/enclosures that been mention here to include just recently the Aguilar 750 DB head and Aguilar 4x10 cabinet and I thought this might have been best rig I had but the the current rig that I'm using is by far the most clean power and OOMMPFF ! I've ever had.I am thinking about getting the Ampeg B4R as a backup because this also is a real good sounding head for the price.
  10. yep :)
  11. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Umm...correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the SVP 1600 power amp the power section of the SVT 4 Pro? How would this be more power? Let me know if I'm missing something.

Anyway, I bought the SVT 4 Pro used (at least 2 users before me too) and have had zero sound problems with it. Great sound, flexible tone. And did I mention this sucka was LOUD?! The only thing that is not like it probably was brand new is that the light for the graphic EQ on/off indicator is constantly lit. No big deal. I'd get it fixed under warranty if I could, but couldn't get a hold of the original receipt. BOO! :spit: So what am I to do? Someone help please...

But overall, great amp, buying used was awesome, lots of connectivity, control for days, EQ is very nice, compressor is welcome addition, line level control, and that Ampeg sound. Only thing I feel that could beat this for me would be the all tube mofos. Maybe... ;) The SVT4Pro is already heavy enough!

But I would have to say that I do want to try out that SVP-CL. This and my QSC may be a very worthy backup! :D

12. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.

We should all appreciate the witt of a true thinking man! Well done......... :hyper:
  13. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    The theory behind "CratePeg" is that "of course" the corporate types at SLM gutted and ruined the Ampeg line by cheaping out everywhere possible.

In actual fact, I don't think that is true or fair. In fact, MTI nearly destroyed Ampeg, by making it in Japan, and having apparently nearly zero quality control.

The only true "CratePeg" is probably the Skunkworks SVT. It is SOOOOO close, but the non-use of the 12DW7 in the input and not making any attempt to replace it, screws up the sound.

it LOOKS like an SVT, but its not really one. I don't think it can be made into one, either, but of that I am not certain.

Newer Ampeg have no equivalent for comparison, and stand on their own. I probably shouldn't call the 4PRO a CratePeg.

Not quite, the usual new Ampeg
    is pretty respectable in that way. IC's, yes, in some, but pretty solid, actually.
  14. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    To answer your ? the SVT 4 pro does have a small version of the SVP power amp but it's only rated a 1200 watts peak @4ohms (to more direct-490x2=980 watts@4ohms) which is plenty loud and is a high powered "Bass Amp head,9 band eq,master,gain,treble,mid,bass etc.conversley the SVP 1600 is an all out balanced Power Amp which feels like the 1200 watts of power on "3 and still has plenty to go with out clipping as my SVT 4 PRO did(mind you I am using the BXT 4X10 HL4 enclosure which is a 1200 watt cabinet@4ohms)so to me were're talking about 2 different animals albeit that one has the version of another......
    I'll put it to you this way I was just at the race track this pass weekend and saw to Mustang GT's go at it in the 1/4 mile one with a Nitrous 302 the other with a (expensive")stroke out 347 cu in.motor both had pretty much the same horse power however when they both left the Mustang with more cubic inches jump out to over 3 car lenths and stayed there until they both cross the finish line.My point,sometimes bigger is more and in this case of the SVT PRO4/SVP1600 it's about cubic inches bro.
  15. hmm....this is interesting as both power amps are rated at 1200 watts RMS 4 ohms bridged... It does say on Ampeg's website that the 1600 is "based" on the SVT-4PRO. Maybe Ampeg Insider can pipe in and clarify what the differences are in the power amps if any.
  16. Bluebomber

May 2, 2000
    I think the 1600W is for running at 2ohms and the 1200 is when run at 4ohms. Im pretty sure about this, but i could be wrong.

As far as svt4 problems ive had mine for 4 months and in the second month the 2nd power amp channel, burned out. Apparently they didnt tighten the heatsink enough and it fried. They said it was an easy fix, but defiantley frustrating especially since i bought it so recently. Im really happy with it though, sounds great, but things like that happen. Amps are a tricky thing, repairs are common. As far as ampeg goes, they are a great amp, and great customer service.
  17. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    In fact, the SVP-1600 is the output section of the SVT-4PRO. Same transformer, same PC board......same performance. But you can use it with any preamp.

900 watts at 8 ohms bridged, 1200 watts at 4 ohms bridged. And those are solid ratings.

The 1600 watts is a "40 Hz single cycle pulse" rating, which I borrowed from old Crown International specs It gives an indication of the impulse power (not "peak" power) available. I could have wished that the website etc made it a little clearer.

The SVP-CL and SVP-1600 combination should do enough for anyone........
  18. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    Wow, well the discussion has been a great read. So while we have watts and the power amp design brought up; which of these paths would you see as better to follow?

1) I could get the SVT4 Pro and be set. They sound great, I don't know why I wouldn't be happy with this.

2) I could get a SVP pre-amp (probably SVP Pro) and team it up with a Crest or Stewart SS power amp of comperable or better power than the 4 Pro's power amp.

There is only one reason for this debate in my head. If there is anything I see decently reasonable people gripeing about on the 4 pro, it is that the power section will clip out in a rather un graceful way when you try to play loud and hard at the same time. Now I don't know what point of loudness it takes for this to occur, so I may be just getting bad info. I'm just running passive 4-string basses. It'll go to a 810E enclosure (maybe add a 18" and some bi-amping later). So is this really any worry? How hard do you really have to push it for that to happen?
  19. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I think if you were to get the SVP 1600 you proably wouldn't need a Crest or Stuart because the SVP 1600 is that good.
  20. This is what I thought - I'd get the SVP and a QSC personally. I've just read of too many probs w/ the 4PRO's power section (added to my own) to be able to trust the SVP1600.