Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any ampeg users switch to swr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 15, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

If so your reasons and expirence with the quality between the two.Thanks

2. hi there---i used to have an ampeg b2 (2 space rackmounted) i had many problems with it, ie; solder joints failing etc etc etc, i loved the sound but i just couldn't trust it....this amp was bought new and never abused or dropped etc..
    i took it apart to fix on more than one occasion and it looked like very poor solder jobs thru-out...the older ampegs (pre slm) are awesome though !! now i have a swr 750x, i had to add a sansamp rbi though to get the tone i was looking for....i've had the swr for almost a year now with no problems whatever and i play it about 20-25 hours a week, i also have a swr 350x (for smaller gigs) no problems there either. and a couple of there combos....ps. i do still use ampeg cabs though....and i have a slew of late 60's sunn 200's.....:)

3. well i use both ampeg and swr and they are really different from each other.
    swr: clean,clean,clean, very articulate with deepbass and a great eq. it gets a little warm sometimes and starts to click and clip in a ugly way when pushed hard in long rehearsals
    Ampeg V4BH: a little "darker" tone, well i guess u have heard the ampeg sound...
    i cant say i´ve had any problem with any of them, both very reliable good amps in their own way

4. yeah i had a 200th and it had a tendency of dying from time to time.took it apart and nothing was wrong and then it would happen again... you could never know when it would happen so i had to get rid of it. but that was a solid-state, i´ve never had any problems with their valve amps

5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i did .... i was getting a hollow mids thing happenin with my ampeg. i descided the control of the 400s is more my speed.

6. MAJOR METAL

I would like to bring more of the acoustical tones out of my semi hollow basses so that is why i am thinking maybe i should switch. Are eden's similar sounding to swr.

7. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    I've owned both and I'd say that they both do a great job. I prefer the weight and increased power handling of the SWR Goliath-III cab. But I like the tone of the Ampeg BXT410HL cabs I currently own, although they're heavy beasts to move. I'd say IME it's easier for me to get good mids from my Ampeg cabs vs. my old SWR cabs. I've never owned an SWR head, but I've owned the Ampeg SVT-CL, SVT-2PRO and SVT-4PRO heads. I had problems getting enough clean volume without really cranking the heads, which equalled distortion, but their tone(s)were great. I guess that grind is part of the Ampeg vibe. IMO the Eden D-410XLT cab I used to own was in between the SWR & Ampeg tone. I'm more of a clean-tone guy, I now regret letting the Eden cab go. Of course, which brand you decide on depends on the type of tone you srive for and the styles of music you play. By all means, try both side-by-side to make your own decision.

Either way, SWR or Ampeg, you can't go wrong.

8. MAJOR METAL

how do ampeg and swr compare price wise.

9. Nope. Afraid I'd get shot....by me. :eek:

10. Post Mortem

Post Mortem

Jan 19, 2004
    Florida
    I may be getting the Big Rig Stack and its a very good deal for how goreat of quality it is. My only problm is transporting it. Its a big beast!!!!

11. That's a classic!!

12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The only good Ampeg is a tube Ampeg. IMO of course. And they're so darn heavy they're just not worth carrying around. Also IMO. :)

My back isn't what it used to be. Even the SWR's have pretty big transformers. I've gone to a nice Walter Woods head. 1200 watts, seven pounds, acceptable sound. Can't beat that.

13. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I use Ampeg amps and SWR cab's.
    SWR makes very nice amps but they are a little too transparent for me. For some reason I like transparency in cab's, which IMHO SWR provides but Ampeg cab's seem muddy or blanketed to my ears. I think Ampeg makes great amps and I am currently using an SVP-1500 amp with an SVP-Pro pre going into SWR cab's. They are both excellent brands and whichever of the two you decide I think you'll be happy. On the flipside I do hope you have better luck with SWR now that they are part of FMIC. It's been a tooth-puller for me since that happened.

14. Do Ampegs hiss? I have a BA-115 it hisses.

15. Mine does not hiss. Mine is dead quiet. It's also 31 years old.

16. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Hiss is generally just due to gain and EQ settings. Boost highs and hit the gain and you get hiss.

If you get an irregular hiss and rumble (sounds a bit like tearing a paper towel), that comes and goes, you probably have a noisy front end that should go away if the noisy part is replaced.