1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Amplitude or Frequency fans here? (Rhythm-based games)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JNBlack, Jun 8, 2007.

1. JNBlack

JNBlack

Dec 5, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I know there are quite a few Guitar Hero fans here (I'm one of 'em), but have any of you played either of these two? It's the same concept (same developer, Harmonix) only you play all the tracks, not just guitar or bass.

Here's a vid from Amplitude

And, here's one from Frequency

Believe me, these games are nowhere near as forgiving (timing-wise) as the Guitar Hero series!

2. So how exactly do you play Amplitude? Is it just moving from plane to plane or are you hitting button combos as you pass over the tracks of dots? It kinda looks like Tempest with music.... a bit glitzier, but on the video, the quality isn't that great so I can't see what's going on...

3. JNBlack

JNBlack

Dec 5, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    You use L1, R1, and R2 to hit the notes and the direction pad to change tracks. Once you hit all the notes in a string it unlocks that track for a specific time period. The goal, of course, is to keep all the tracks going while earning the highest score possible.

The hardest part for me is completing a string and then trying to change tracks and begin another between beats, since you can't just start in the middle of a string.

4. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    dude im so good at amplitude, sadly i do not own it. i plan to get it off ebay eventually though!

5. Which one do you guys recommend more, and do they have decent songs in them?

If it is cheap I might try to pick one up off of ebay.

6. JNBlack

JNBlack

Dec 5, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I personally like Amplitude more. As far as the songs, it's all subjective. Both games feature alot of techno and a few rock/pop songs (ex. Weezer, Pink, No Doubt, Blink-182, etc.). So it all depends on if you like that kind of music.

Since they are both out of print they are pretty rare. Prices on Half.com were about $15-20, which is really high for games made in 2001 & 2003. Your best bet is to call around to EB/GameStop and see if they have a used copy.

I was able to find both of them there. I think I paid $7 for Amplitude and $4 for Frequency.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021