Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any amps that can get me in the neighborhood of the Ampeg B-15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Mar 8, 2006.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Tube preferably.

Obviously, it doesn't have to be stupid loud either. Just enough to drive a small cabinet. (possibly a 1x15, to stay with the B15 vibe here).

How about a cab to combine with this amp?

I looked at the B15r bt it get's mixed reviews and for that kind of money, I could go with something a little better.

2. Mesa Walkabout Scout IMO... very tubey and warm... LOTS louder than the old Ampeg B15. With the tweeter in the cab off, it can really do that warm vintage thing IMO.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, there are amps that do the b15 thing real well.
    Go play an ampeg B100R. They do the B15 thing better than anything else out there, I think. Search here, lots of info.

On the used market they go for about $350. The new B200R should be nicer still. The extra headroom, and tube preamp I see as improvementst, but I think you'll want to turn the tweeter *off* to get the truest old school tone out of it.

4. You might consider a digital amp modeler as well; most bass-specific ones will also do a B15. The roland cube 100 bass does it for sure.

5. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got a 69 B15. I've also got a Line 6 Bass POD. The POD does a pretty good job of replicating the "snuffle, lacey, and spongy" B15 tone. "Snuffle" describes the low mids (like a 57 Chevy with glasspacks), "lace" the highs, "spongy" refers the slow tube attack. Those adjectives are the ones I have heard techs use in describing the B15 sound. I paid $250 for the POD. I paid $169 for the amp, but that was in 1975.

SD:)

6. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    New B200R? Any more info?

Was that introduced at NAMM this year?

7. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Why not a B15?

8. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Anyone else?

9. +1

10. Get the real thing, or a cowbell.

11. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I have played through several amps in an effort to get the B15 sound (tube amps as well as modeling amps), and the only amp I have heard that sounds like a B15 is, surprise!, a B15.

All of the elements contribute: the 6SL7 preamp tubes, the tube rectifier, the 6L6 power tubes, and the vintage 15 inch speaker. It is a truly unique sounding amp.

12. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    HOw hard is the b15 to come across?

13. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    It is not too hard to find one these days, but the prices have skyrocketed of late. What once was readily available for around 500 dollars, now commands nearly twice as much.

What were you plans for the amp? Though the sound is fantastic, the lack of power makes it almost unusable for anything except the quietest of gigs and they are definitely not the easiest things to transport for sessions. However, it is a particular tone that no amp I have tried can truly emulate.

In fact, the closest any product has come, imo, of sounding like a B15 is not an amp at all but a tube direct box, the A Designs REDDI. The recorded tone it provides sounds remarkably similar to a B15 before the power section breaks up, but it also isn't cheap (though it is less of a pain to move around for session work).