"Any and Everything"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shellac, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Shellac

Feb 10, 2003
    I've $1000 (usd), possiblely more, to spend on a bass and amp, not much but something. Anyhow I don't want you to tell me what to buy, I have ears. That said, I will ask which gear do you think I should look into. So? Basses, amps and such.

I'm likely to try and find something used, to cut the price down. I'm looking for either a 4 or 5 string fretted bass, to play mostly Jazz, Rock, Punk and maybe some experimental stuff. I play finger style, but I do plan to slap and use a pick evenly.

I've played the BTB 400QM a while back, and the MTD Kingston, I liked both, but I don't want to narrow my options by being biased.

As for amps, I'm looking for a simple but practical combo, maybe in the 12 variety so that I can have more to invest in a bass. I've no need for special built in effects and emulators at the moment.

Anyhow thanks for advice.
  2. For basses; Fender. Jazz and Perc basses. :bassist:

There's also MM Sting Rays, but even finding pne second hand may leave you with not much for an amp!

I'm biased towards Fender, really. heh. OH! Hceck ebay, if you find a Gibson GRabber (1 or 3!) BUY IT! Fantastic basses! teh r teh r0xx0rz!!! :p

As for amps; Peavey (not sure of the models) SWR workingman's (again not sure of models) AND TRACE ELIOT! (TEH R0CK!!)

OK, hope that helps some.. :D

R0XX0RZ 0\/\ :bassist:
  3. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    i have a peavey amp for sale in the classifides(sp) check it out. 2x12 but shipping to usa might be a damn lot for a 50pound amp or more.
  4. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    Any bass that makes you want to play, and at least a decent 100W amp...no point having a great bass if you run it through a shoe box, whereas an average bass can sound good through a decent amp. I’d recommend either an MM or PJ configuration for your stated musical requirements. Buy used! There are some great deals around at the moment.
  5. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    You can very likely get a used G&L and something like a used SWR Workingman's 12 or 15, and have some change left over for incidentals.
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What's the differnece?:confused:
  7. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    If you are planning to gig, I think you should put most of your money into your rig - perhaps a used Carvin r600 head and a used Avatar 4x10 cab. For the balance, look at used G&Ls - great basses for not a lot of money. The above would give you a setup that can handle almost everything.
  8. Shellac

Feb 10, 2003
    Thanks for the comments. =)

No, I'm not planning on playing any "gigs" just having fun, playing and learning, possibly some garage play with friends if any. I was thinking of maybe spending more on the bass now and then just investing in a bigger, better amp later. I don't know yet.

What do you all think of the Ampeg BA's (112 and 115), there's one local that is fairly cheap, because of a small chip on the bottom of the exterior.

ashton I'll look into that

Nino-Brown the difference is, you can all point me in the right direction, you could even point me right at the supposed "top of the line" in basses.....but if my ears and fingers don't like the instrument, no float. I won't buy it unless I like it, regardless of it's credentials. I could very well be amongst the most respected basses around, and settle for less than, just because I like it's sound and play. I'm hoping against the latter though. =)
  9. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    If you are not going to buy sight unseen, then you might as well try every bass you can get your hands on.
  10. Shellac

Feb 10, 2003
    What's "sight unseen"? I have an idea, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, but it's still good to try the recommended basses first, just incase I find an highly recommended bass that I love. Kinda like, "Point me to the top of the stack and I'll dig through the pile myself". Except in my case I'm working on a limited budget. =)
  11. Shellac

Feb 10, 2003
    What about the Lakland Skyline or the Conklin GT series? I don't hear much about these basses. I doubt if testing any bass would be wasted time, but just your thoughts in advance.

Also, I've not been playing bass for -that- long, and I only own one bass at the moment, and two all together. I hope I'm not coming off as a wise guy, I'd just like to think that I make my own decisions. But, I am eager to hear opinions, direct advices, and anything else I could learn from, from both the experienced and others. About gear, technique, life, basically anything I can learn that may help me become a better player.
  12. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You're a beginner, right? Your budget is more than ample for someone starting out. If it were me, I'd get a good but inexpensive bass (check used Fender MIM, or some stores seem to be blowing out MTD Kingstons recently, or SX or Brice), and the coolest loudest amp you can get w/ your remaining cash. Then get a teacher and join/form a band w/ other beginners as fast as you can. Playing with friends will motivate you to learn much more than hanging out in your bedroom w/ a fancy bass and cheap practice combo tone.
  13. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Fender new Fender MIM or a used MIA J or P bass (My preference is the J) and a SWR Workingmans 15. That would get you more than set in the right direction.
  14. Peavey TNT 150, 150 watts, 15 inch speaker, mine was the back widow speaker, and sounds pretty good, especially for $250

go to www.bassgear.com and look for ads in your area, you can get great deals.