1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Ani DiFranco fans here? New album out today...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DanielleMuscato, Oct 1, 2008.

1. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    "Red Letter Year" came out today. I just got back from the live show, and got to meet her, along with vibraphonist Mike Dillon, drummer Alison Miller, and bassist Todd Sickafoose—dude plays a mean upright (arco & pizzicato).

Check it out if you get the chance... Ani puts on a great show!

There was a no-photography policy during the performance, but I got some cool souvenirs...

2904105048_312a496e22.

2904107666_048665b7ff.

I think the numbers next to each song indicate which guitar she's going to use... She plays in a lot of altered tunings, and often switches between baritone, prime, and tenor guitars. She played a couple of requests, too, including "32 Flavors," one of my favorites.

:bassist:

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I used to dig her earlier stuff...up through out of range...She used to be fun to see in coffee house and club shows before the theater sized gigs. Used to play in our area pretty frequently. I would get guest listed since I dealt with RBR at my old job.

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Nice interview with her on Billboard about her new album:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1185114649/bclid1203071926/bctid1825848987

This album really is Ani in a new place in her life... it's been 2 years since her last (studio) album, and she's had a baby in the meantime. (I got to meet her baby, too! :D ) But I like what she says about not losing her edge, and just using happiness as a new type of creativity. She's a real artist.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    She sort of lost me a bit when she went with the electronica side of things... I liked the intimacy of the more folk oriented stuff. If I get a chance I'll check out the new one.

5. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    i'd echo that... Sickafoose is a reall good player! Tiny Resistors (his solo debut) is pretty cool too! Always nice to hear a bass player write! Sara Lee was a great support too!

Ani is a great guitar player, singer and songwriter.... but with a signature sound like she's had in the past you have to be really die-hard to keep ones excitement!

She did a double album some yrs ago.... Maceo was a guest player.... cant remember the name of the album but both discs are SICK! It's neo-Ani, very jazzy tracks, some funk too... nice to hear... but the electronica stuff.... not so much for me!