1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Apps For Learning To Read Music?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Does anyone know of any apps that teach notation reading in a fairly simple manner with fair-sized notation (audio examples that go along with what's on-screen would be a bonus)? I don't have an iPad yet myself, but would like to get back into trying to learn to read.

Extraneous stuff below to preempt any "learn with real books/online stuff/etc.":

I'm legally blind (if anyone didn't know), so I've always had a lot of limitations when it comes to trying to look at standard notation. I will never be able to sight read as I am a very slow reader because of my eyes, and similar black shapes (like notation) tends to blend together, so I often need to restart. I'd still like to be able to read music though. Music stands have always been the biggest issue though- I can't get them close enough to my face to read while still easily accessing my bass. I've been looking at some of these iPad accessories, and several appear to be able to get an iPad really close to my face (with a boom-like arm and fully adjustable iPad holder to put it at any angle) without interfering with my bass or body.