Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Ashbory Players on TB?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by angelopb, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Those who have these must have stories to share. I have had mine only a month and the feedback I get from the audience has been so awesome. I wondered if anybody has the same experience-audinece members gawking close up at it while you play, as oppossed to the usual comments b/t sets. Besides the sight gag/sight element, the subwoofer-ish, pant flapping lows raise a few brows.

Besides playing experience, I am also interested in mods, such as string trees and so forth. In particular, I would like to replace the red LED with a blue one, but do not know how to remove the PC board or how the LED is housed or what its voltage values are.

Normally, I would post this on www.largesound.com, but there is rarely any activity therein. So I am wondering who all has one.

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I've got Serial #849 Guild Ashbory... I would use it if it stayed in tune! ;)

3. the new ones have machined tuners. but yours is a collectable so it is better to not mod the originals. mine is "Crafted in Korea" and they have improved electronics as well. But yours has the cool pick-up cover. The new ones don't.

4. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Perfect is you travel for work a lot.

5. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I've had one for a year or so. I've used it like twice. Never in a 'serious' band situation.

It just doesn't sound even from string to string. I replaced the instantly broken G with the stuff Mike Tavern(eresyusse, I forget his proper name) sells, and it sounds even more different than the standard string.

The piezo is far too sensitive to any noises or touching of the bridge. So random pops and secondary noises are common.

The output is very low, unless you crank the lows and it just sounds like a muffled fretless with high action and flatwounds...

Not too many 'nice' things to say about it really. It's a neat toy.

I've heard many accounts about how its musical, and people use it 'for real' but I haven't been able to find that situation yet. I should probably just sell it.

As far as tips, only I can offer, other than getting the replacement G string stuff. Because, if it hasn't broken yet, it will. Is to wind the E backwards to keep it from popping off the nut when playing even remotely hard.

I've also used a hairband or like item to act as a string tree around the headstock. This does tend to even out string tension and keep it in tune a little better.

Troll

6. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've been debating getting one of these for lunchtime practice when I'm at work. Hopefully more owners can chime in here. :) *subscribes*

7. It is a great work bass in that I leave it in the car and practice on it to clear my head. I wrote a cool bass line today in my car. In fact, I can even play through the car stereo using the output of a korg bass pandora and the aux input on the nakamichi head unit. The subwoofer hits pretty hard.

The uneven sound is managable. Just lay off a little on the G. I love taking it out in "serious" settings. It fits the bill for lots of songs and doesn't require any processing to sound good, IMO.

I have not tried the hairpin thing.

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I had one for about a year before I sold it to TBer Big Joe... I dug it as a practice bass as well as an occasional gig axe for the unconventional tune or two. I played it on numerous jam sessions, did three shows of "You're A Good Man Charlie Brown" in local community theater with it, used it for a few rehearsals with my brother's big band, (where comments were made about how deep it sounded), church, and even another brother's funeral service, (which is why I eventually sold it when going through an emotionally rough time)...

Serious low end... I never had too many problems with extraneous noise, except when my calusses were very hard... I used talcum powder to smooth out the strings, (a 2" horsehair paintbrush is invaluable as a cleanup accessory)... I will probably have another one at some point in the future...

-robert

9. That's cool. It does have its uses, for better or for worse. Hope you get another one soon. Thanks for writing.