1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any audio video nuts? PS3 > 22" LCD DVI Monitor / 5.1 surround w/ Optical cable.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rakie, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

Heya. I don't know all that much about Home theater equipment, not totally unfamiliar of sound equipment however ;p

I suppose I'm just talking to those interested and hoping for some feedback (lol at hoping for feedback in a discussion about high end A/V).

SO...

Video

Basically, I have a 24" POS TV that I really don't care for anymore, I however have a nice 22" widescreen LCD, not full 1080p, but it can hit 720p no problem (AL22162bd) which is *hides* "Good enough". Oh yeah, and it supports HDCP, 1680x1050 native resolution.

So I will be running an HDMI > DVI cable, from the PS:3 into the computer Monitor, while HDMI transfers sound (It's a DVI cable with extra pins for sound) the DVI doesn't accept sound... Therefor I will be using the HDMI for HD Video on the Monitor only.

Sound

Now, since the HDMI > DVI cable does NOT allow the transfer of Audio, i'll be using the PS:3's Digital optical out, or it's AV Analog out. After much research it seems the AV analog (RCA) isn't much worse then an Optical Cable, in fact, some games don't support optical cable sound...

Receiver (Got it years ago) is a KLH 5.1 system, with a vintage RSL 6" center driver, yamaha L, R, SL, SR, Sub.

Sound good so far ?

Blu-Ray

Now this is tricky... I've read that Blu-Ray sound is not truly compatible (to it's full capabilities) with older surround sound systems.

Anybody get a blu-ray player and have to upgrade their receiver ?

Thanks for reading, looking for any and all suggestions :)

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021