Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any aussies? need amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by robbomut9, Feb 21, 2004.

1. robbomut9

robbomut9

Feb 21, 2004
    i'm looking to buy a used a amp here in oz. it is so much harder to buy gear over here then the US. there doesn't seem to be much used gear at all! maybe i'm looking in the wrong places. i've been looking for some used yorkville stuff but i cannot find any. do any aussies frequenting these forums have the same problem?

2. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Are you specifically looking for used, imported gear? If not, why don't you check out some locally made stuff like Ebony, LabSystems etc? The LabSystems stuff is as expensive as imported these days but the Ebony is still more reasonable. Even more reasonable is the Pro Audio stuff that is (as I understand) rebadged Ebony gear anyway or at least comes out of the same workshop.
    Also, where are you located? There's Aussies from Perth to Brisbane who post here regularly so I'm sure someone will be able to help you narrow it down.

BTW, Welcome to TB :bassist:

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Velcome to TB! Where in Aus are you situated? id say buying second hand is an awsome way to go, but if you cant, Labsystems, even though expensive; are a beaut way to go. What sort of amplification are you looking at? How much power? Tube or solid state? Etc :)

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You can also PM Petebass...

5. robbomut9

robbomut9

Feb 21, 2004
    hey guys. i'm near sydney so i'm scouring adds anywhere in nsw. i don't really care if the gear is imported or locally made, as long as it sounds good and reliable. a bass shop in sydney quoted me $2000 for an Ebony 400 watt head, and an Ebony 300 watt cab, that is brand new. whats their stuff like? i've never read any reviews of their stuff here. also i don't really want to buy new. i'm looking to spend between 1500 and 2000 and i'm not sure if i want tube or solid state, just something that sounds good. i would like an amp with pretty versatile tones...other than that, i'm not sure.

6. hey fellow aussies......im in newcastle by the way....

ive found some great 2nd hand stuff here...i just bought a peavey mark 3 head and a Kubicki Ex Factor (Fender Custom Shop Made) and ive been lookin around for some Hartke gear and i found a Sovtek Head the other day!!

but yeah...if any of you aussies want me to i can look around town and give ya the low down on whats around newcastle...wont be a big list though....The Kubicki was a great find..bit of history to it as well.....It was Stu Hamms, he used it when mick jagger was here about 10?? years ago.....

cheers heath

7. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    You definitely want to talk to Petebass. His rig is powered by Ebony (was last I heard anyway) and he is extremely knowledgeable about stuff in general :cool:
    He's also a Sydney-sider. Two grand for a full Ebony rig sounds like a pretty good deal though. Which cab is it?