any Australian bassists out there? c'mon ..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, Feb 15, 2001.

1. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    hey! what's with the shortage of australians living the low-end? am i the only one out there ?! :(
    i'm from Melbourne, Victoria and i play in a 4-piece rap-metal-funk outfit called "Clear Air Turbulence". any aussies in similar positions or who bash on a bass - POST! or forever hold yer piece ;)
  2. Well Tones I'm here if that makes you happy. I'm from Sydney the place of ignorant yuppies just kidding. I play in a punk outfit were currently in the process of getting our stuff together but will be doing gig's as much as possible in about 2 months. By the way look's like were the only 2 living the low end in Aus. Have one question did you have trouble finding a decent vocalist there seem's to be a shortage out there of decent ones.

Are you gigging? cause your gonna have to come up here and play we need some decent music instead of the usual RSL type stuff floating around, problem is the live music scene pretty much sucks up here you have to hunt for a venue if your just starting out.
  3. Hey guys

Looks like I'm the only sandgroper here - Perth WA.

I'm playing in a blues/jazz combo with 2 acoustic guitarists - not playing out yet but doing the private party thing.

I think that Merlin is an Aussie as well. Good to see some fellow Antipodeans here.

What do you guys think of Powderfinger - they're probably on of my favourite bands at the moment. For anyone who wants to check them out try where you can get some sound samples as well as plenty of info - they're touring the US soon supporting Coldplay i believe.

4. g'day all.

i'm from melbourne and i play low end, and a bit of high. but yeah cracking on a bass then crackin open a beer, i sure got a thirst. damn, as a matter of fact i got it now.

cya all later cos i'm getting pished nuw....uh nuw, thut's nooo guud
  5. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    finally! 3 out of a possible 10 million bassists ain't bad .. ta answer yer questions Donut, yep we're gigging like crazy and yep our vocalist is crap on a stick. it's only becoz of him that we add the "rap" prefix to the "rap-funk-metal" category that we place ourselves in - he's really into his hip-hop stuff and won't deviate from it unless i whip him soundly with my bass strap ;)
    each of us adds our own influences to the music, really - i like my metal, our guitarist is really into The Who and all that old stuff, and our drummer is into .. uh, whatever he's into. it makes for an interesting mix, so i've been told. but yeah, good vocalists *are* really hard to find, specifically with the vocal vision you may have in mind: you're better off advertising i would think. we just have this guy because he's a mate and he needs something to stop him going and getting stoned after school every day hahahaha :p
  6. armidex

Apr 28, 2000
    Australia, Sydney
    hey guys
    from Australia too, Sydney in fact as well
    Still in high school year 12 so i dont have enough time to gig and all that (although i would love to heaheha)

newys im more of a prog metal person trying to follow in the footsteps of John Myung and Thomas Miller

Well its nice knowing that there are bassist in the bottom end on the world heaheha

Merlin's from SA too
  7. techtone

Jan 7, 2001
    Does being from Austria count?
  8. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    yeah, what the hell .. ;)
  9. Well i'm from the worst place. ...Adelaide. I hate adelaide too, the metal scene although rampant underground, is dying in the pubs and clubs, but my band is here and i play bass, so thats all that counts.

I hate football. lololol damn crows and port power
  11. Hey Guys don't leave me out :)

I'm living in the Gold Coast (no real music scene) but I head up to Brisbane to get into it's slightly better (not by much) scene. I'm currently playing in a band which is a mix of funk, punk, metal, reggae and some jazz (interesting......:D:). Hopefully we'll get out s@#$ together and start playing live soon (and hopefully our drummer wont speed up tooo much).

On another topic do any of you find it hard to try out new gear. I find that it's hard to compare amps basses etc cause there's very rarely more than one or two decent amps in the whole store. Probably more a problem in Brisbane any way, let me know. Keep Groovin', C-YA.

12. Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland
    I live in New-Zealand, a large majority of people think we're in the same country :)
  13. We are aren't we Gel?? :p

You know what sorta annoys me? Is when i come on these forums and look at the "Gear for Sale" and they have effects for like $50, go to the shops here and its $200. Damn trading dollars..

Thats my australian whine for the day....