1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any bad experiences from buying gear off talkbass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tankerton, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Tankerton

Tankerton

Aug 14, 2013
    Cleveland
    Hey guys,

Im really interested to hear from people have who have bought gear off of talkbass. How was your over all experience? Im often tempted to buy stuff but I'm too nervous to pull the trigger. Especially when it comes down to shelling out 1000+ bucks for a new bass(which Im currently looking for.)

Any advice/information/opinions would be helpful. I've found a lot better deals on here then ebay so I'd like to try it out but I need to hear some feedback before I start shopping around.

Thanks!

2. maverick49

maverick49 Gold Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Southern California
    IMO - I would buy and sell with folks on TB any day. We are players here and the majority take really good care of their stuff so you have a much better chance of getting a good product than on Ebay where people are just flipping to make money. We know the boo boos and caveats to the equipment we offer and disclose it. If a TBer just happens to be less than 100% ethical (rare), they are ostracized in many ways so there is low probability you would ever be buying from them ever.

For you, the key is to look at the sellers feedback ratings and comments to give you a level of comfort. Case in point, I treat all of my selling transactions how I would like to be treated as a buyer. I would say the same goes for those I have bought from in the past. The feedback in my profile is reflective of that. Half of my bass harem and almost all of my sound gear is made up of TB purchases. :thumbsup:

Good luck in your bass hunting - so many GREAT basses on here, so little money...

R&B, TUEP, 35hundy and 12 others like this.
  3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I sell a lot of radio control hobby stuff on ebay, but all the bass stuff I sell other than want goes local, goes here. I have much more confidence in the buyers (and sellers) here than any other long distance option for buy/sell/trade bass gear. I've bought from TB on several occasions and never had any serious issues on any transaction. I once bought an item from a guy here and it got lost in the mail, without any hesitation he offered to give me a full refund. Since I didn't see him as responsible for losing the item (thanks USPS), we decided to split the loss which was completely satisfactory with me. Read up on a potential sellers feedback. I believe on here it can be trusted.

blindrabbit likes this.
  4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... quite a few transactions .. of which, one person outright lied about their piece, and a couple folks packing left a bit (or more) to be desired, but without a doubt it is the safest/best/friendliest/most respectful place I have found for trading in our profession/hobby/addiction ... I have met some super folk in person and online as a result of my transactions here ...

The one caveat I will toss out if buying a bass, and if weight is a critical concern, realize that scales/methods of weighing can vary greatly ... I have received basses that varied as much as 2 pounds from the quoted weight ... I don't believe the figures to have been deceitful, they just used the scale/method they had access to ... with that send, you do enough trading on here you begin to know who's scales read light/heavy/etc compared to your own ... at that point you also know you are probably spending too much time in the classifieds... ;)

At least on here folk are aware that weight is a concern for many, and are usually expecting to be asked ... you ask on Ebay, etc and they sometimes think you are nutz and figure you only want it for shipping purposes ...

5. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    It's all been good. One bass I bought as 'good' I thought would be better, and the pics lacked, but otherwise happy. Hopefully those who bought from me are happy too!

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    No issues.

RJHall, Mike N and blindrabbit like this.
  7. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    I've sold various items here on TB. All good experiences. And I hope the folks on the other end of those transactions still feel the same. It's always good to check a persons background before agreeing to a deal. Not just their feedback history, but also their posts in general. Are they a whiner, complainer, confrontational, a grudge holder? Do they always have to get the last word in and be right? That could come back to haunt you in a transaction. Also, be aware that the word 'mint' rarely means what you would like to believe it does. After perusing the TB classifieds since before my join date it's obvious that many here have a very loose interpretation of the word.

M. M. :)

8. No overall bad transactions but just one bad attitude.

9. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Never any issues with buying something. Everyone here has been excellent to deal with on both fronts.

The only issue I ever had was when I sold an Aguilar GS112. The buyer emailed me, said he received it and would gig with it the weekend. A week later, he emails me and says the horn in the cabinet was blown. I had no problem with it, but he swore it always gave him a problem. I ended up offering to split the cost of a new horn 50/50 and he agreed. Only issue.

10. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Never sold anything, but purchased a couple items; all good.
    IMO, there's a sense of family here that will never exist on ebay or craigslist. And, with GAS, and the seemingly unobtainable search for "the one", sellers/buyers want to maintain the best, most honest, hassle free transactions possible.
    Caveat... Always check feedback and comments as my opinion is only that.

11. Never an issue buying or selling here. For something as high priced as a $1000 bass I would get a phone number and talk directly to the seller and have all of my questions and concerns put 0n the table up front.

12. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I don't have a ton of TB transactions under my belt, but so far it's been painless and transparent.

OldPlucker and blindrabbit like this.
  13. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    So far so good!

blindrabbit likes this.
  14. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    All of my transactions have been positive. No buyer has accused me of selling broken or misrepresented items, and everything I've bought was as described and shipped promptly.

blindrabbit likes this.
  15. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Maybe most important is good pics, and what you feel is honest description and representation. If I sell or trade, I'll shoot lots of picks and email them with as many 'warts' showing. I believe in 'no surprises'. I've even offered to sell basses and take them back weeks after if the buyer didn't like them (less shipping). In the end it's better everyone be happy.

40YearOldBassVirgin likes this.
  16. Thehound

Thehound

Jul 11, 2011
    Canada
    I made trade with a Tb member thru kijiji who wasn't 100% honest recently. It sucked I got burnt. From now on I trust no one and try everything 100% before purchase or trade. This doesn't happen very often on the tb classifieds tho from what I've seen but there's always a few rotten apples everywhere.

Lethgar likes this.
  17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Lots of sellers prices go up if you are an international buyer, that part is pretty frustrating, but my experience has been pretty good as a seller and a buyer. Less so as a seller, lots of low-ballers and needy buyers on TB. Take note that while most of the transactions here end on a positive note there are ones that end horribly.

mindwell likes this.
  18. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    I buy EVERYTHING online. My TB transactions have been some of the most pleasant. I have yet to have any issues with another TB seller, and my buyers have all reported back that they were quite pleased. I check TB first when I'm looking to purchase anything.

19. I bought a lot of my gear here, and so far, it's been great.

trips222 and blindrabbit like this.
  20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I've thus far only had good experiences. I always do a lot of communicating before any transactions though, and as of the past few years won't deal with anyone unless I talk with them a bit on the phone. I feel I can get a better sense of who I'm dealing with like that.

blindrabbit likes this.