1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any badass pickup that can fit under the Pickupcover of a 51 P!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by darren051234, Oct 29, 2013.

1. darren051234

darren051234

May 17, 2012
    Hey guys!
    I am currently building a 51 P and trying to think of what pickup to use, as I'm afraid the 1 single coil pu wont be deep and modern enough for my giging needs, yet I would still like to keep the vintage tone option available. Also I love the look of pickup covers!
    So I would like to know, is there:

A) a coil tap kinda pickup option on bass humbuckers? (like a guitar pickup kinda way, like I was imagining getting 2 single coil pickup and wire them together kinda)

B) if no, any other awesome suggestions of bass humbuckers that can fit under the pickup cover?

C) if there are any stack single coil bass pickup that you would highly recommend at the stage it sounds similar to a humbucker?

I'm looking for an option between a classic P bass and a single coil P bass tone. I pre apologize of my terrible confusion.
    Cheers
    Darren

2. Apparently the pickup cover for 51 precision style basses is 3 and 3/8 inches internally. This limits your choices a bit.

I would suggest going for a standard precision cover. These ones are 4 inches wide and the look is almost identical. This would give you a lot more options. E.g. all the EMG 35 series is 3,5 inches wide so you could fit one of those very easily. For some reason I feel that the EMG 35TW would be the best for the application you mentioned.

An equally interesting option would be any regular precision split pickup and then add a series-parallel switch.

3. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Maybe a Rickenbacker style p.u.? As I remember they are around .250" wide

4. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  5. darren051234

darren051234

May 17, 2012
    Fair point.
    I just thought to myself that there are mini buckers made by Seymour Duncan's, there must be something similar in the bass world. Maybe a humbucker wired by 2 51 style p bass pu that can be coil taped.
    Cheers for the reply!

6. darren051234

darren051234

May 17, 2012
    Man! That'll be so cool! Ric sound, fender body :) it's going on my list!

7. darren051234

darren051234

May 17, 2012
    Mudbuckers are gigantic , and I did thought of the piezo idea, but I realized that is maybe a bit too much.

8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Humbucker with a coil tap, you say?

Nordstrand Fat Stack

Note - the stated size includes the cover, which is removable. Not sure what the internal size is.

If the stock size won't work for you, they'll make their pickups in custom sizes on request, not too much of an upcharge as I recall, reasonable wait time.

9. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Also - it doesn't show them on their site, but I'm sure that Carey Nordstrand has built a few 51 P style pickups, both 4 string and 5 string. I know I've seen them. I bet they could easily build a stacked 51 P humbucker with a coil tap like the Fat Stack if you asked them.

Ah - here you go -
    Nordstrand 51 P

10. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
  11. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Tv jones filtertron is also a very decent p.u.Like a lacabronita bass

12. Lindy Fralin makes a humbucking single-coil P pickup, but they're $140.

13. darren051234

darren051234

May 17, 2012
    That's awesome! Now I got a few options to think about.

Anyone here knows anything about the rickenbacker pickups, eg, how does it sound by itself? Will it turn any bass to ricenbacker tone or is ricenbacker tone comes from the construction of the guitar? Thanks

14. darren051234

darren051234

May 17, 2012
    That's awesome! Now I got a few options to think about.

Anyone here knows anything about the rickenbacker pickups, eg, how does it sound by itself? Will it turn any bass to ricenbacker tone or is ricenbacker tone comes from the construction of the guitar? Thanks

15. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Love my Seymour Duncan custom shop hum bucker stack single coil.
    Tone forever and fit's the pickup cavity perfectly.

16. darren051234

darren051234

May 17, 2012
    I was told somewhere here saying that SD is picking up a lot of noise, is it true?

17. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    A rick pickup and the placement of the pickups is 95% of the rickenbacker tone. It would get you a little bit of a ric sound but since its in the P bass spot not an exact ric sound.

18. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    I have a RIO GRANDE scpb p.u in a bass it isn't really hot but sounds great also a Duncan scpb-2 hot that isn't bad.The slip coil fralin is nice but expensive.I also used a Duncan hot rail strat p.u. in a mustang as well as a '51 p bass style bass with good results.Then nordy is one I have not tried.I really like the rio grande best of all i tried.Although it's vintage voiced

19. Perhaps my fav, the Rio Grande Muy Grande ?

20. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Not the stack single. I've owned a couple and they've been quiet and I run 'em wide open.