Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any bass players have pet snakes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Jun 27, 2005.

1. hey everyone..i was wondering if any of you guys have pet snakes and if they act differently while you play. for example when i practice my king snake will come out and start sticking up his head or even start pacing around in his terrarium. i think it has to do with the vibrations of the sound waves stimulating him somehow...it reminds me of those indian guys who make the snake dance when they play their little wind instrument...

2. I have a royal python named Shadow...whenever I play he will either coil up in has cage as close to my cab as possible crawl around that side of the cage. If he's out, then he is usally crawling around the cab...I guess it's true snakes are attracted to vibrations.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/ColonelClaypool3/DCP_0778.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/ColonelClaypool3/DCP_0778.jpg

(I didn't put the pictures in the link because they contain images of blood and dead/dying mice, view at your own risk [like you can resist now ;-)])

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I've got a snake...

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm down to two corn snakes now. In the past, I've had a Columbian Redtail Boa (adult male..around 7 ft), three different ball pythons, a Hogg Island Boa, and a few other assorteds.

Snakes are VERY sensitive to vibration. You don't really want to practice in the same room they are in. You can stress them quite badly...which with some more sensitive snakes, like ball pythons, will result in not eating, etc.

5. I still have my snake, it just doesn't get out much anymore since I got married.

Randy

6. I used to have a ball python. He was about 3 or 4 feet long when I gave him away (had to move, no room for serpent types). He would usually just hide under some sticks and things that I kept in his terrarium unless he was hungry, then he'd be "on the prowl" around the cage and I'd know when to toss a rat in there. I never noticed him doing anything special when I practiced bass, but then I didn't really turn up very loud jamming at home by myself.

7. you think im doing my king snake any harm?! he actually seems like he enjoys it and he does eat normally... :( hmm...thanks for the info though

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    As long as he is still eating steadily, he should be OK. I'd worry about it more with a ball python or a similar sensitive snake. Kings are kind of renown for eating anytime/anywhere!