Any bass players play guitar better than their guitarist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jive1, May 26, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Out of curiosity - Are there any bassists out there who are better guitar players than the guitarist in the band?
  2. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    no, but I can keep the arrangments straight...something he messed up 3+ times at a gig Saturday...practice, practice, practice...;)
  3. I am a better electric guitar player than one of our two guitar players, but he is a lot better at acoustic
  4. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I think I'm better than my friend who plays guitar.
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    As far as creating melodies and interesting chord patterns.... HELL YEAH!

They are better technical players though.

Its not too hard to be a better writter when you are in a band who refuses to pla in anything but drop-d tunning and play power chords.

6. I can solo better than my rythm guitarist, but my lead guitarist kicks my butt at guitar.
  7. Nameless Poet

Nameless Poet

Sep 4, 2002
    rythm guitarist - yeah, lead - hell no
  8. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    In my last band, I could have played all of the guitar parts on bass. When I left, they had to trash everything I'd co-written, because the guitarist couldn't show any of my parts to the new bassist. And the new bassist wouldn't have been able to play them.

Having said that, they play to bigger audiences than I do and make more money, because I am completely unable to figure out gigs and coordinate that sort of thing. The guitarist was fantastic at getting gigs and working out the promotional aspect of music. So it was a symbiotic relationship, to an extent.
  9. Hell I can't even play guitar let alone better than my guitarist, but then I can keep time a hell of a lot better at least.
  10. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    This thread reminds me why I hate guitarists at times... stupid cocky, selfish, every-other-bad-adjective-in-the-book guitarists. :mad:
  11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State

Occasionally, I have to give a guitar lesson or two to help make a song presentable. :meh:
  12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

No. I'm really not a good guitarist and mine is a killer.
    But I'm a better singer than our singer.
    And probably not far from being as good as the drummer.
  13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun