Any Bass Tapping songs you recommend?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TimothyGroovy, Jul 11, 2001.

1. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Any bass Tapping song yours recommend? Please tell me!!Thanks for your help!
  2. Victor Wooten has a few of 'em. I couldn't tell you any specific ones though.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Stu Hamm has a book with songs from his first 3 CDs out with notation and tablature. That will help you to get started.
    Stu is one of the most prominent tappers. And the songs are cool.

Stu Hamm - The Bass Book
    Hal Leonard
    ISBN 0-7935-1421-5
  4. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Yeah the Stu Hamm bass book is pretty good however I found that the in some cases the tab dosent match the score (probably misprints) of those situations where being able to read music comes in handy, also the book dosent cover the mechanics of tapping so I'd recommend using the book in tandem with Stus instructional video(s).
  5. Try playing Fur Elise and Can't Buy Me Love, those are the two I'm working on.
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Michael Manring, Drastic Measures. Full of great melodic tunes (if you have a 6-string fretless and about 30 years of free time to work on them).
  7. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Thanks your help!
    In fact, I got Stu Hamm Tab book already! but I have a problem is how we create a tapping bass line when we are writing song. "Thinking about scale"?, "melody"? or just play whatever i play?
  8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I think it would be a big mistake to set out to write a "tapping song". I've used tapping in the past, but only because it was the only way to play what I heard in my head.

Technique (of any type) should be a tool, a mean to an end, but not an end.
    JLY likes this.
  9. sorry I spelled it wrong it is metallica anethesia
  10. Well, if you want to make a song using tapping, at least use it to play something you couldn't play oterwise. Such as, play a simplified bassline on the E and A strings, then play a melody line, solo, or something like that higher up on the G and D strings.
  11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'd recommend the Roscoe Beck "Blues Foundations" video for examples of how to use tapping in a band context. (It's cheap!) Technically, Roscoe's tapping isn't as impressive as Manring's or Hamm's, but it sounds great and doesn't seem like a gimmick. He uses tapping to imitate an organ, using a lot of syncopated fourths, fifths and tritones, tapped with the RH, over simple basslines tapped with the LH. Kind of Charlie Hunterish. The "whoa!" moment on this video, for me, is when Roscoe reveals that you can outline almost any chord using *just* tapped fourths, fifths and tritones over the bassline. In other words, you don't have to risk carpal tunnel syndrome to tap effectively.
  12. That isn't a tapping song. Cliff might have tapped 5 notes during the solo, but it isn't a tap solo.

As far as tapping tunes go, I like it as long as it's melodic and contains variety. I'm not so fond of repetitive speedy ostinatos taps. A good use of tapping IMO is Victor Wooten's version of "Overjoyed" (originally by Stevie Wonder). There are clearly 2 different parts - the bass part and the melody.

Also, take a listen to any of Michael Manring's albums and you will hear some first-class uses of the tapping technique.
  13. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State

LES CLAYPOOL r0x0rs j00r b45535!
  14. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Thanks those yours help!
  15. I've always been curious about these tapping threads.
    Who is gigging weekly and tapping regularly on the job?
  16. hossein yousefi

hossein yousefi

Apr 15, 2015
    me is .......... i tap one gig i played the keyboard parts on bass.......which was awesome !
  17. Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    But practicing to a song is a good way to be confortable with the technic in a musical way.
  18. Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Not everyone play someone else music for money or stay in "popular" music.