Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any bass under 1000 with quality construction like a Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Apr 2, 2005.

1. I played one of the Cirrus in the music store and that bass was so smooth. I love the construction of it and everything was perfect with this bass. There was no fret buzz and the strings were nice and tight with no flop.

Is there any other bass like this with quality construction under $1000. The guy at my local store wanted close to 1700 for it.

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You might try a Conklin GT series. And you can find used Alembics for about a $1000, on Ebay.

3. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Carvin LB70.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    A used Euro Spector can be had if you look hard.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    IMO Musicman basses have the best quality construction in the price range, they cost just a little over $1k.

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Seekest thou a 4-string? 5-string? 6-string? More string?

7. I have a mint condition Cirrus 4 with flamed redwood that I will sell you for less than $1000. It is flawless and barely played. Let me know if you are interested.

8. 4-6

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    +1

I got my Bubinga Cirrus 4 string for $700, used, but mint.

[​IMG]

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sure there is. A used Cirrus. They often go for under $1000 on Ebay.

11. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Used Warwicks. :)

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Used Pedullas.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

True, but other than a Rapture 4 string, they rarely go under $1000.

Seeing you post reminds me of some other finely crafted sub $1000 basses. The Peavey TL5 and TL6, and their 4 string stepbrother, the Peavey Sarzo.

These basses were the forerunners of the Cirrus series, and they are serious bargains on the used market.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I got my MVP-4 off the TalkBass Classifieds for $700. Have also seen a Thunderbolt or Thunderbass advertised here for $850.

With under $1k Pedullas, the best strategy is to snag it when you find it.

Yeah, the TL series is nice, I owned a 6 and a 5, although it was pointed out later to me that the bridge was slightly off center from the body on the 5 and that would have cost some money to fix, but it was otherwise ok. Not worth upgrading unless you plan to keep it for good.

Plus, Peavey TLs are more in the $500 or so range in my mind. They might have gone up in the last few years. I haven't really paid attention.